Who Here Has Fit Their Own Universal Midpipe? Looking For Opinions

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
So looking at getting accufab (mild steel ceramic coated as they dont offer stainless) mid length headers (to keep my ground clearance as good as possible since im lowered quite a bit) and i want to get a stainless mid pipe and mufflers. I have 0 performance or muffler shops by me at all and the only one i found wont work on my car bc i dont run cats. (And i dont plan to idc how little they affect performance etc) so was thinking of getting a universal x from spintech and mocking up the pieces then taking them to a place i know can weld stainless. I want v bands and cutouts welded in as well. I dont have a welder to tack weld etc but would mock it up and mark everything for orientation etc. Is this a stupid idea? Will i need custom bends to make this work properly? Since its 3" i want it to be as tight a fit as possible and at a loss as to how to tackle this.

• Sponsors (?)

All those advertising "stainless" really mean a stainless coating. It's all mild steal. Once you weld on it, the coating flakes off. Once it has been welded, it needs to be coated again. As long as you don't have any cats, the fireproof coating from the autoparts store, or grill paint works fine. Also, I know V-bands are badass for performance, but for regular street cars, they make almost no difference. The original ball and socket designs are much easier to deal with. If at all possible, I would stick with a ball and socket.

I have done all my exhaust setups with pre mandrel bent U sections off of Jegs. If you don't have a welder, just use clamps to hold it all in place until you can get it to someone who can weld it all up. Exhaust is easy. Might even be able to find someone on Craigslist.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
The pieces im looking at are 304 stainless...i dont believe its a coating but solid 304. I may try and tackle this since i want to swap over to 3" and while im redoing the undercarriage etc might as well do it now.
As far as the v bands im not looking at it for the performance value but more for the ease of install and removal, looks, leaks, etc. I dont see how the ball and socket can be easier than tightening a v band clamp?

They are a lot easier to install and remove. V-bands are a hassle to connect and disconnect. That's not the big problem though. When welding up a V-band exhaust, you have to be dead on. With ball and socket, you can really just wing it and it will be close enough. You can even have the angle off a little bit, and it will still seal. The perfectionist in me would prefer a V-band, the realist would go with a ball and socket.

Kurt

first ive never seen "stainless coated" ive seen aluminized though... all the stainless tube ive ever dealt with has been 100% stainless

also v bands are pretty easy to deal with. only issue ive ever had with them is running the nuts down with a small cordless impact and knocking the threads off the shaft.

Reactions: 1 users
i have making a mid pipe on my list of :poo: to do just not sure if i want to try and run 4" exhaust pipes under my car.

4" you must be making some serious power...and the perfectionist in me is the problem lol...makes everything i do on this project that much harder lol.
408" windsor with highports 12.5:1 compression and nitrous... new motor should make some "ok" power