Who is CURRENTLY making the best electrical items?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I base my old ratings on warranty come backs and defects. It used to be Wells Ampco was sold by Wally World and Checker for low price and was better than nothing. Echlin (NAPA) was good, and Borg Warner was the best. Accel was good till it broke and MSD was tough stuff.

Now I hear on this board that MSD stands for may suddenly die. The kids at Advance Auto say BWD Select (Borg's new name) is made by the same folks as Wells, and that explains my defective starter solenoid. So with buy outs, who is making electrical and ignition stuff that is worth buying? I'll Gibbs slap myself if Champion is really the current best.

• Sponsors (?)

My experience has been you're pretty much beat when it comes to buying top quality products anymore. I don't mean just electronics either.
Stock replacement parts of a decent quality just do not seem to exist anymore. As you mentioned, aftermarket parts don't even carry the same quality anymore. What I don't seem to understand is why a 20 year old MSD 6A box will still be working when a 2 year old 6AL has $hit the bed. On the other hand I have not seen any trouble with the higher end msd stuff such as the 7531 or power grid, why is that? I have had a lot of trouble with the BWD stuff for a while now too!

Lucky dog! :D
I have seen so many 6AL ignition boxes go bad over the last few years. Even had a DIS-4 go bad when I had my 98' Not to mention several of the TFI MSD distributors over the years. :mad:

granted my 6AL2 has only been in the car a year or so... but the MSD TFI coil has been in for 4 years and no issues.

but the old 7530 and the grid we have in the race car havent given us issues. even the REALLY old HVC2 coil has been in the car since Dave cappolina owned the car... with the lil 392 or whatever it was and ran 8.50