Whose pulling whose crank??

96SOHC

Apr 26, 2004
TN
Need some help. I recently received (today) a 4.6L crankshaft purchased through http://www.karkraft.com/modular_parts.htm for $79.00. It is advertised as follows: "Crankshaft 4.6 cast iron (6 bolt) fits Mach 1, Marauder & 4.6 2 valve. $129.00 new take outs SALE $79.00".
I opened the box it came in and all the rod journals and crank journals look beautiful but...I'm not sure it's a Romeo (what I need) crankshaft. It is a 6 bolt, but I know a handful of 8 bolt Romeo cranks are out there. The crank has the following factory RAISED markings: "F2LE 6303 AG" It has the following STAMPED markings: "KC (within a stamped circle), 317 7 3, 1604.2, and 47538 on the outside radius of the front counterweight. It has the following markings ENGRAVED by someone: "F6LE-6303-CA, BAL 1604.2, and $84F" These markings are all on the front counterweight with some dykem blue. Also, some green blotches of paint are dobbed in several locations on the crank.
Can anyone help identify this crankshaft? I'm ready for engine assembly this coming weekend and need to have the correct crank. I should mention this is a build-up for a 4.6L 2V cast iron engine. Thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The crank will work as long as your flywheel bolts up to it, but if it is a crank that is shared with the GT and Mach 1, it is the cast crank that comes with the automatics. The 5-speed Mach 1 uses a forged crank that won't work with the auto. You should be able to look up the part numbers for the Cobra, Mach 1 and GT cranks at your local Ford dealer. That should tell you which one you have... :shrug:

Sam98 said:
The crank will work as long as your flywheel bolts up to it, but if it is a crank that is shared with the GT and Mach 1, it is the cast crank that comes with the automatics. The 5-speed Mach 1 uses a forged crank that won't work with the auto. You should be able to look up the part numbers for the Cobra, Mach 1 and GT cranks at your local Ford dealer. That should tell you which one you have... :shrug:
Sam98,

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can get my local Ford dealership to cooperate and look up a part number for me. They are kinda fuddy-duddy about stuff like that. Anyone else care to take a shot at this one? Thanks.