Wierd Low Oil Pressure

I have a 95 GT that just hit 100k miles. I noticed that it has good oil pressure when driving down the road and at idle. The weirdness hits when I pull up to a stoplight. The oil pressure drops down to the L and fluctuates down there. If I hit the gas, it goes back to normal.

I only have the factory gauge on it, so I can't tell actual numbers.

Does this sound like an oil pump going bad, or possibly a sending unit?

I forgot to mention, this only happens after the engine gets warmed up to normal operating temps. The needle will start to shake and eventually go down.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The sending unit is a pressure sensitive switch with a 6 psi trigger. So where it reads on the gauge isn't important. However, if the needle falls to zero I would be concerned.

Changed oil

I had just bought the car, it was showing good oil pressure when I test drove it, but then it dropped to about the L on my way home at a stop light.

I checked the oil and it looked pretty dirty. I contacted the people I bought it from and they said they just had the oil changed at Wal-mart. Either they were lying or Wal-mart never changed it.

Regardless, I changed the oil and put some high milage 10w-30 in it and now I have good oil pressure.

No need to change the switch.

Thanks for the help,

Keith

You may or may not have good pressure. All you know for certain is the pressure is above 6 psi. The gauge position means nothing. It's either reading or it's not. Same as a bulb being either on or off.