wierd noise (buzzing) and smell after valve cover gaskets

carbed87

Jun 5, 2005
ok, so last wednesday i ripped everything apart to change my valve cover gaskets. the gaskets came in today, so i put everything back together. when i finally did i noticed a wierd "buzzing" noise coming from the pass front of the motor. at first i thought it was the smog pupm, but i got a 2.5' extension and put it to my ear and didn't hear anything inside the pump. it's pin-pointed to AROUND that little junction of hoses that exit the smog pump area, but thats aboout as good as i could narrow it down. when you rev it up it sounds kinda like a lawn mower or a ricer, but man... i really have no idea.

then to top that, i'm smelling something behind the intake, like something dry is burning (might just be the "rust cap" paint burning on the valvecovers) but im not sure.

i need this thing on the road, so ANY insight as to whats going on would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks guys,
mike

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, when the valvecovers were off i checked them. there were a few that had a tiny little bit of play, but i figured that that was just because of the cycle/stroke the cyl was on. that was the first thing i put the extension to, but they're alright (making a little bit of noise but it just needs a thicker oil). it's definetlycoming from the smog pump area, but i did put my ear to the smog pump and it didn't seem to be coming from there.