Wierd noise coming from 01 GT

AdamJ

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Naperville, IL
Anyone ever heard of this noise?? This is on a 01' GT auto. Namely when the car is cold, you start it up and it makes this weird low pitch humm almost right away, get worse as you put it in gear and load the engine.

I was able to get out and listen to the noise in the engine compt and it sounded like a deer call or duck call noise coming from around the air filter intake area. As soon as i reach back and flipped the gas it went away. Got back in the car, went to drive, made the noise again. It would only do it once and a while before now its pretty consistent. Every once and a while the owner says it will happen out of nowhere even while driving and on the gas, so it cant be anything in the intake tract then if it happens on the gas...

Also just put a new belt on it (made noise before belt), all the ilders seem nice and quiet yet too.. cars got 53K on it.

Any ideas or anyone heard this before?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

AdamJ said:
Anyone ever heard of this noise?? This is on a 01' GT auto. Namely when the car is cold, you start it up and it makes this weird low pitch humm almost right away, get worse as you put it in gear and load the engine.

I was able to get out and listen to the noise in the engine compt and it sounded like a deer call or duck call noise coming from around the air filter intake area. As soon as i reach back and flipped the gas it went away. Got back in the car, went to drive, made the noise again. It would only do it once and a while before now its pretty consistent. Every once and a while the owner says it will happen out of nowhere even while driving and on the gas, so it cant be anything in the intake tract then if it happens on the gas...

Also just put a new belt on it (made noise before belt), all the ilders seem nice and quiet yet too.. cars got 53K on it.

Any ideas or anyone heard this before?

Thanks!

does the car have an aftermarket CAI, TB or plenum?

Its a possibilty, the ABS module is right in that area, but it will do it out of the blue, dont even have to be braking etc...

The one time it did it for me, it was imediatatly after i started the car after it sat over night. No ABS light ever so far...

Me and her brother thought it could be the ABS motor test cycling but it does it so often and out of the blue thats whats so confusing...

Haha a deer call...never heard one of those. Anyway, I've had the exact same problem in the cold the last two winters ('99 GT manual with 47K miles). That same low pitched humm that's hard to describe to people on a message board. :D

When I posted a very similar post last winter (I think I described the noise as a lower-pitched tug boat horn heard from a distance...if that helped anyone LOL), people told me it was probably a vacuum leak or bad IAC I believe.

Well, several months later the IAC went bad and needed to be replaced, so I have a brand new one now. It's been pretty cold here lately, and no deer calls yet (fingers crossed).

Ahh ha...just the thread I was lookin' for.

So I put a CAI on a 4.6L F150, and I am getting this noise also.
The "Tug-boat" example is a great example by the way! Anyway I am not sure how similar the truck engine is to the Mustang, but there are 2 tubes that go to the intake, and one goes up near the throttle body, and i think that it is the one making noise. (The tube sucks tons of air and I think it may be getting kinked and making noise?) I just do not know the remedy for this situation. Also....when you take the tube off while its running, the thing almost completely dies.

Sorry if i'm jackin the thread, but it sounds like the 4.6's seem to have a problem with intake noise, from what i've searched, and I don't know a lot about em.

Thank you,

-Adam.

My 2001 just started having similar problems. The sound seems to be coming from the tension pulley. I tried 2 different belts to be certain it wasn't a belt issue. I found the Gatorback makes the sound less noticable. I have seen others suggest it is the tenstion pulley so I might as well try replacing it now. Like you stated, when the car is cold, it makes the noise and it becomes louder as the RPMs go up. After about 20 miles, it seems to go away. Now with the Gatorback, I hardly notice it except their is still a slight noise that bothers me when the radio is off. So I have just been cranking the tunes lately.

I will try a new tension pulley this weekend. :shrug: