Will A 05 Police Interceptor Fit In My 98?

• Sponsors (?)

The 2000 Crown Vic will have a non-PI motor the same as the 1997. Likely the most direct "plug and play" motor.

The 2005 Crown Vic will have a PI motor. This motor will not have an ECT boss on the intake coolant cross over.

Either motor will work with some changes.

However, If given a choice I would not choose a donor from a police interceptor. Why? Because police fleet cars spend a great deal of time idling. Therefore mileage is a poor indication of wear and tear.

This is what I'm working with

Attachments

• 15133943411951187828529.jpg
    15133943411951187828529.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 164
One method is to look at the casting numbers of the heads.

Another method is to look at the shape of the intake ports. The non-PI is tear drop shape. The PI is more square shaped.

If asking for an educated based upon the picture posted, I see:
  • An electronic EGR valve. These appeared in the 2003+ model year. Previous MY's had a vacuum operated EGR valve.
  • An ECT sensor in the intake coolant crossover. These were removed in very late model years (2005+).
  • It appears to have coil on plugs(COP). Which means 1998+ Model year.
  • The 2005+ CV model year uses an electronic throttle. The motor in the picture appears to have a normal cable driven throttle.

Last edited:
Plenty of people have done it. Just put both motors on an engine stand. My the donor motor look like the original. Take TONS of pictures.

It will be necessary to reuse the original:
  • fuel rails and injectors.
  • Ignition coil packs and spark plug wires.
  • upper air intake.
  • May be necessary to do some work on the PVC system. The later model years use a larger PVC line.
  • motor wiring harness. The idea is to make the new motor look electrically the same has the original.
  • Front belt drive accessories.
  • swap the oil pan to have the same oil capacity.
  • IF the donor motor has an external oil cooler it will be necessary to swap the oil filter adapter.
  • The Mustang's EGR vacuum driven system.
  • The Crown Vic uses a knock sensor and a cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT). The Mustang does not.
Before putting the new motor in consider:
  • Having the fuel injectors cleaned. Consider InjectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new.
  • use new motor mounts. The Mustang is very hard on motor mounts. There will never be a better time to replace the motor mounts than when installing a new motor
  • IF the donor motor has over 150k Miles consider new timing chains and guides. It is so much easier to do the work when the motor is on the engine stand.
The 1997 PCM will run a PI motor without a tune. However it will not give all of the horse power of the PI motor.