Will a 92 DP federal emission stang pass CA smog?

goland55

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2002
New Bedford, MA
I'm moving to CA from MA in a couple weeks and I'm replacing the exhaust on my mustang and found that the aftermarket exhaust from autozone eliminates the precat and only has one catalytic converter on it. The CA emission cars require the precat from what the exhaust catalog at autozone was showing me. Will I run into any problems using only one cat?

Also, I just swapped to a T5 from an A4LD. Will this cause any problems with the visual inspection?

The mustang has always passed MA emissions testing well.

• Sponsors (?)

They look under your car to make sure that it has some kind of cat converter, but I'm not sure if they'll count how many.

The automatic shouldn't be a problem if any and all electronics associated with it are there. Even then, the only tech that would be truly concerned is a state smog ref. If that's who you have to go see and not a normal smog station, disregard this post. I have no experience with state referees.

you shouldn't have a prob. rarely will a tech look for all the cats on a car. normally, (if they look at all) they look under to see if a cat is there. i doubt they'll notice the tranny change, so don't tell them about it.

make sure all your emission systems are there and working(even the gas cap), also make sure your ignition timing is set to stock.

Well, the car just passed MA inspection yesterday. They test all the emissions stuff though I think CA has stricter limits. My car passed without much trouble....well, besides the fact that the mechanic sheared one of the two shifter handle bolts when he was going through the gears when the car was on the rollers doing the transient part of the inspection.

How would the tech's not notice the transmission change? Do they not have to get in and drive the car on the dyno rollers to do the inspection?

They wouldn't know about the transmission because they don't decode the VIN number to see.

What are the limits on your Massachusetts print out? It varies for different vehicle types, engine types, and years here. I'm not sure posting the limits for my SVO would help you see what shape you're in. Maybe someone on here with a similar vintage 2.3 NA can chime in.

They do different limits for different cars here as well. Here's how my car tested:
..................................Reading..............Limit
HC grams per mile..........0.30...............1.20
CO grams per mile.........13.09.............20.00
NOx grams per mile........2.10...............2.50
CO2 grames per mile.....472.32..............NA

The way they do the test is they'll put the car on the rollers and put it through a series of three or four acceleration and deceleration runs (about 1 minute each). The mechanic didn't seem too good with a stick shift and was shifting hard and bucking a bit. It was kinda close on the NOx...the EGR valve might need to be cleaned up but I'll worry about that when i get to CA. Maybe it'll still pass there.

Edit: Oh ya, and keep in mind that this is non-oxygenated gas. I was looking up emissions info and California uses oxygenated gas I guess but I don't believe Massachusetts does. Oxygenated gas is supposed to reduce some of the emissions.