Will a rim blow wheel from a 1970 mustang fit a 1969 mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Would a 1970 rim blow fit if I were to swap out the old steering column for a flaming river tilt column?

I don't see how the FR column could fit 69 & 70. They had different diameter columns. So different they require different support brackets, pedal brackets, instrument bezels, and column trim. The 70 has the ignition switch in the column, the 69 in the dash. What happens with the switch if you use a "67-70" column?

Even the 69 and 70-73 wheel were different, they don't share one piece in common.

I suggest you eBay the wheel, and get the right one. That'll cost a lot less in the long run.

Ok

thanks for the info. The 1970-73 wheels do not have a decent repop for the pad cover. The restorers refuse to use them and only use reconditioned pads. I figure that since they are not making any more of the wheels or pads, I might as well pay to restore it. One of the US restorers is asking $1075 for a reconditioned 1970-73 rim blow. I figure that it is not like they are making more of them so I will go ahead and have it redone. I can sell it here in Euroland for a profit and make enough money to cover the costs of a reconditioned rimblow for a 1969.

If you had told me 5 years ago that I would pay $1 large for a steering wheel, I would have told you to lay off the crack pipe and yet here I am doing it for wheel that won't even fit my car. Go figure.

Should've asked first......

The wheel I got didn't say what year it was for. It only said rim blow steering wheel for classic mustang and it looked like a 69-73 wheel.

I thought the wheels for 1969-1973 were interchangeable because of this ebay listing by a rim blow restoration service for 1969-1973.

1969-1973 rim blow wheel

It was late at night and I didn't read the ad closely enough so I failed to realize that they were advertising the restoration of 1969-1973 wheels. I thought they were selling a wheel and claiming that it would fit a 1969-1973 car.

Well, apart from the width of the rubber strip for horn being narrower in 69, the 69 hub was smaller, and the pad entirely different.

69:
rd69.jpg

70-73:
rd70.jpg