Wilwood or Baer brakes

1979 Camaro

May 18, 2005
I am new to this forum.

As you can see by my name I am a GM guy.

I've gone to the dark side and purchased a 66 Mustang Fastback project car.

The engine is a 5.0 that dynoed at 398 lb. ft. and 408 hp.

Plans are for a 5 speed and 3:70 gears

It has about 12-13 inches of vacuum @ 900 rpm idle.

Not enough for a vacuum brake booster with a four wheel disc system.

I spoke with Paul at Hydratech and he said there isn't enough room between the shock tower and the firewall for his hydro boost system.

Instead of spending money for some type of vacuum booster and electric pump to maintain 16 inches of vacuum, I was thinking of a manual brakes but upgrading to either 6 piston Wilwood or Baer system fronts and 4 piston rears.

Would either give me outstanding braking but with a somewhat reduced pedal effort. Something my wife could drive and not scare herself with the increased pedal pressure.

Anyone out there with some opinions and or actual expirence.

My 79 LS1 Camaro (See Car Craft April 2005). OK just a little bragging,
has C5 Corvette front brakes and 94-97 Camaro rear brakes and it works great.

Thanks in advance from a Mustang neewbie.

79 LSI

• Sponsors (?)

Travis77 said:
Sorry to highjack guys, but iskwezm that is one fine looking ride. Anyway you could post some pictures of it? Thanks
Thaks,these are from the recent knotts show and the old 289 which i melted a piston the same day :rlaugh: ,so now its getting a FPS built 347 and 10 PSI.
knotts1.jpg

engine.jpg

Wilwoods are GREAT brakes. But they WILL change your track width up front by 1/2" on each side (Total 1"), which will require custom offset wheels up front. Wilwood does offer a no track width change kit, but requires you to purchase later model spindles, which puts the cost closer to the Baer kits.
Just a little something to consider :shrug:

BTW, I'm running a booster on my Disc/Drum set-up and although the vacuum is low, the booster works fine!

368495_98_full.jpg

We need more orange pearl / candy tangerine stangs

I was thinking of that color/stripe combo and I think it looks fantastic, iskwezm. I assume that means oranges. :D Looks fresh squeezed. More stang guys should try orange, it's not represented as well as it should be.

Thread hijacked, but to help out with the original post, it seems that Baer is the premium product if you can afford it. IIRC, they have a few larger diameter options than Wilwood, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe

70vert said:
I was thinking of that color/stripe combo and I think it looks fantastic, iskwezm. I assume that means oranges. :D Looks fresh squeezed. More stang guys should try orange, it's not represented as well as it should be.

Thread hijacked, but to help out with the original post, it seems that Baer is the premium product if you can afford it. IIRC, they have a few larger diameter options than Wilwood, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe
hi jacked again,my car used to be moonlight blue with wihte pear stripes and after it appeared in a couple of magazines it was copied more then my licking so i went this route.