Interior and Upholstery Window adjustment

• Sponsors (?)

I just did the guide rod mount and bushing repair on one of my rear quarter windows, and now I'm not sure how to realign the quarter window now that it's all back together.

I do actually have the convertible diagnosis manual, which supposedly explains how to do this, but I'm clearly missing something! I've figured out which bolts that do the up and down adjustment. The bolts that do the in/out adjustment,. But I am not sure how to adjust the fore/after tilt of the window. The manual has a crappy black and white heavily copied photo pointing to some bolts that look to be on the bottom of the guide bracket, but when I loosened those it didn't seem to give me any play on the adjustment.

Can anyone provide a better photo of what to adjust and/or description of what to do? Thanks...

I just did the guide rod mount and bushing repair on one of my rear quarter windows, and now I'm not sure how to realign the quarter window now that it's all back together.

I do actually have the convertible diagnosis manual, which supposedly explains how to do this, but I'm clearly missing something! I've figured out which bolts that do the up and down adjustment. The bolts that do the in/out adjustment,. But I am not sure how to adjust the fore/after tilt of the window. The manual has a crappy black and white heavily copied photo pointing to some bolts that look to be on the bottom of the guide bracket, but when I loosened those it didn't seem to give me any play on the adjustment.

Can anyone provide a better photo of what to adjust and/or description of what to do? Thanks...
I just did this after installing the guide rod mounts and motors. Simply put, I found that loosening all of the adjustments, and fiddling long enough you know how each joint articulates, which will give you an understanding of how and where to bolt everything up. I feel like I earned a PhD in quarter window adjustments.

I have spent HOURS, this winter, and I would say my results are fair at best. Wish you were closer, I'd hire you.
I'm not sure my results in getting the quarter windows aligned are perfect, but it is effective. Where it came together for me was loosening everything, getting the window up and into place, visually checking alignments, and carefully tightening each nut and bolt. I am trying to remember if there was an order of operations, but I believe that was part of the solution.

Reactions: 1 user
When you say all were loose, which ones specifically? I have done this, the 2 to the car at the bottom, (to the car frame) so then the 2 just above for the guide rod base, then at the top, the 2 (or 3?) at the top that is the up twist management. Did you loosen more? Had everything flopping in the wind, got the correct tilt out, such that the door window starts touching quarter window seal when the door striker makes it's "tick" as it makes contact.... etc etc etc..... One side, Im actually happy with the alignment, but as it travels, it drives hard into the dew wipe so hard it barely goes up.

When you say all were loose, which ones specifically? I have done this, the 2 to the car at the bottom, (to the car frame) so then the 2 just above for the guide rod base, then at the top, the 2 (or 3?) at the top that is the up twist management. Did you loosen more? Had everything flopping in the wind, got the correct tilt out, such that the door window starts touching quarter window seal when the door striker makes it's "tick" as it makes contact.... etc etc etc..... One side, Im actually happy with the alignment, but as it travels, it drives hard into the dew wipe so hard it barely goes up.
Are the motors in good operation? I thought both of my motors were good, but it turned out that the LH side motor was not 100%. Though it moved the window up and down on the guide rod, it wasn't smooth. I replaced the motor and that fixed that problem. I assumed since the motor was operational was moving fine in both directions, that it was good, but in fact, it wasn't. I replaced the plastic square bushings on the bracket that slides up and down the guide rod.

For my adjustments, I did loosen all of the bolts you've referenced. I snugged them up a tad so that they had a bit of friction. I moved the window up and down a few times, adjusting and tightening as I could. Maybe there was some type of order of operations I had in my mind, but more than anything, I just took note of how each bolt's movement articulated the up and down motion of the window. Sorry, I know that's not a scientific answer, but it got me to a good result. Took me over an hour of fiddling per window.

Yeah motors are good, I rebuilt them, they are smooth and strong. Everything moves smoothly on the guide rod, Also replaced the square bushings, and the broken plastic bottom guide rod mount (with LMR aluminum). Ive done what you suggested several times (loose but snug enough to move, so it holds in place). Gonna try one more time over the next couple days, wish me luck.

I used to do this for a living before I moved into sales.... I wish I could give you some nut and bolt advice but Fox bodies would have been after I left the Auto glass business..

I would start with getting the front door glass set and then set the QTR glass to fit.. Try to set one parameter first, ( height or side to side) then do the next adjustment.. I can tell you sometimes it seems as if they just don't fit.....

Is this new or replacement from another car?? I have seen bad tempered that was bent incorrectly during manufacturing....

Reactions: 1 user