Wing Delete Q's please help

bigcarguy65

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
gaffney SC
Aight i have thought of doing the wing delete on my car i just do not know what is involved with it i just need some info on if i will have to get my trunk painted and getting holes filled and if the trunk is messed up where the wing has been thanks a million and if anyone has pics of there wing delete that would be great

Thanks
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

I'm surprised this hasn't been answered yet...On any 94 and up stang it's just 4 nuts that have to be removed from the underside of the trunk lid and the spoiler lifts right off. Most cases there will be some slight paint differences and some scuff marks from where the spoiler was. Now it's up to you if you want to repaint your trunk lid or not. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it sans-spoiler or not so I just bought some stainless bolts and used those to cover the holes(6 in total). Other guys have found plugs at the hardware or autoparts store in a color to match the car,or have painted the plugs to match.
Here's a side shot of my car without the spoiler.
side shot

I was able to find a dealership that had the same year and color car as i did just without a spoiler and had them swap the deck lid's. They were willing to do it because it made their v6 look a little more sporty. Probably the easiest as well since there is really no work involved for you.

nuke_em said:
I was able to find a dealership that had the same year and color car as i did just without a spoiler and had them swap the deck lid's. They were willing to do it because it made their v6 look a little more sporty. Probably the easiest as well since there is really no work involved for you.

You lucky dog! We here at the wingless club envy you for being so fortunate. I just plugged mine with black rubber plugs and silcone from AutoZone. I would like a wingless trunk lid, but it's not worth the money to me. Check my signature for pictures (you'll have a scroll down a little to get to them).

I never thought of going to a dealership to do a swap. I want to get the 2002 spoiler instead of my 1999 one, but the holes dont line up. I'm better off trading mine with the spoiler for the same color without, then drilling the holes myself!

bigcarguy65 said:
is the paint under the wing really messed up because i have a black car and dont know if the paint is extremely scarred from the wing
Thanks
Matt

Mine left some marks. Your probably wing too. It helps to clean it wing paint cleaner, polish and wax. It really only take 5 minutes or less to take the wing off and find out for yourself. Pop the trunk, take ofr the two rubber grommets covering two of the bolts. The other two bolts (at least on my 2002) were exposed. I "think" it might be a 10mm size bolt to remove the bolts (and don't drop the inside the trunk). And the thing is light too...I think it weighs 8lbs only.

nuke_em said:
I wish I would have thought of that! I got my trunk repainted and it looks great! I love it. Very different from allll the other mustangs. :nice:

SonicBlueBabe said:
I wish I would have thought of that! I got my trunk repainted and it looks great! I love it. Very different from allll the other mustangs. :nice:

Well, if you want to do it the right way, you still have to swap the locks cause your key will no longer work.

To those that really want to stay wingless I say do it the right way and get the holes filled :nice:

~B7~ said:
Mine left some marks. Your probably wing too. It helps to clean it wing paint cleaner, polish and wax. It really only take 5 minutes or less to take the wing off and find out for yourself. Pop the trunk, take ofr the two rubber grommets covering two of the bolts. The other two bolts (at least on my 2002) were exposed. I "think" it might be a 10mm size bolt to remove the bolts (and don't drop the inside the trunk). And the thing is light too...I think it weighs 8lbs only.

How bad was it see my car is black and shows everything :mad: so if it beyond cleaning up is it easy to put back on and line up

Thanks
Matt

going wingless

I also got very lucky with my wing delete. I traded trunk lids with a V6 that happened to be the same color as mine in my appartment complex. He was actually looking for a winged lid. The only thing is, it doesnt match 100% with how it sits on there. I think I might need new shocks that hold the lid on for a better match up. Also his car had way more miles than mine so I had to polish the poo outta it to look as shiny as mine. I would try looking for a V6 same color, which is harder on 99+ because almost every V6 I see in that body is winged. Looks so clean wingless. and on the 94-8s they have a little lip on the end. Here is a pic: Please dont comment on how I need a drop. I already know, I just dont have a grand!

Attachments

• My 96 GT(Bullitt)compressed.jpg
    My 96 GT(Bullitt)compressed.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 102