Electrical wiper problem 1989 LX

I did a search and found a thread where a fella had the same problem I am currently having but there was no conclusion on how the problem was corrected... I am hoping someone can diagnose this problem and offer a solution...

My 1989 LX has sat for 20 years the majority of the time being in a garage. I am now trying to get it going again and slowly working through the issues that have arisen due to not being driven...

My wipers work when the fluid wash button is depressed. However, I have no intermittent, low speed or high speed function. My washer motor has two plugs if that makes a difference... the wipers do come back to "park" after operating in the "wash function".

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I suspect the switch, but I am mostly bumping it for you.

Thanks man, I do appreciate it...

Today I found a wiper governor module from my drag car build many years ago. And my wife jokes all the time that I never throw anything away... anyway I tried the spare governor module and there was no change. A buddy of mine has an '87 parts car so I robbed the governor module off of it this afternoon and gave it a try - no change...

I did check the voltage at the wires and the only wire I have voltage at is the large red wire while the key is in the "run" position... unfortunately, I am unable to test the wires while depressing the "wash function" button on the multi switch. I guess it is possible all three governor modules are bad but I would think the probability is relatively low.

So, that leaves the switch or the washer motor itself. I have an extra switch and may give it a try later this evening... I would imagine the if the motor operates while depressing the "wash function" button it okay... albeit the motor sounds like someone swishing around a bucket of gravel while it operates so it is going to be replaced regardless.

Once/if I get this issue resolved I will post up for others that may run into the same issue in the future.

Please read and follow @jrichker ’s written procedures the General found for you. I wish the write up on procedures were all available on a CD/DVD, because they are way more helpful than Ford is now days.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link... it is greatly appreciated!

I saw that thread last night during my search. Unfortunately, Benjamin never came back to advise whether, or not, he resolved the issue and if so what was the solution... It appears the other fella suggested checking the copper disc in the wiper motor itself but I would assume since Benjamin tried three different wiper motors it would eliminate a problem with the motor itself... if after trying another multi function switch does not resolve the issue I will pull the wiper motor and take a look inside the contact area. It would appear it takes some form of magic to get wipers functioning again once they go awry... LOL!!!

Please read and follow jrichker’s written procedures The General found for you. I wish the write ups were all available on a CD/DVD, because they are more helpful than Ford is now days.

I have read them several times... and attempted to follow his test procedures. In his procedure he does not address the problem I am having however. His procedure appears to address problems when either the high or low wiper function fails to operate.

Then I hope you can add info for the rest of us without too much trouble then. Thanks!. I’m used to members taking one look at the step by step instructions and not reading further.

I have read them several times... and attempted to follow his test procedures. In his procedure he does not address the problem I am having however. His procedure appears to address problems when either the high or low wiper function fails to operate.

Last edited:
well fellas the wiper issue is resolved...

The culprit... faulty multi function switch.

I swapped the multi function switch from the same boxes of parts I had left over from the drag car build many years ago and I now have functioning wipers.

After examining the three components of the wiper system being the motor, governor module and multi function switch I came to the conclusion the governor module would be the easiest to remove and replace. And it helped that I had one on hand... I watched a video on YouTube last night and the fella suggested the majority of wiper issues are caused by the governor module... I surmised the motor had to be at least functional seeing as it would operate when the washer function button was depressed so that was partially ruled out. After trying other governor modules with no change that left the multi function switch...

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how to test the wire leads at the motor that would allow one to come to the conclusion the multi function switch is faulty.

The wiper motor needs to be replaced anyway due to the gravely sounds it is making while in operation... I also want to replace the multi function switch with a new one as I am in the process of restoring the interior and both I have on hand are faded pretty bad...

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and I hope this thread helps someone in the future having the same issue.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing I forgot to add that may help someone in the future... when I removed the multi function switch from the car I tested it for continuity on the contacts where the wiper motor harness plugs in... I only got continuity on two tabs even when putting the switch in all of the positions and depressing the washer function button. I tested the spare multi function switch in the same manner and got the same results. I am by no means an electrical guru but it would make sense to me that there would at least be continuity on the other tabs when the switch was moved to high, low or intermittent but I guess that is not the case... so, if you are replacing the multi function switch and test the continuity while operating the switch don't get discouraged... like I said earlier I believe there is a certain amount of magic involved with wiper circuits... LOL!!!

A few years ago I built a SN95 for road racing and studied the wiper wiring diagrams for several days. My SN95 is completely "gutted" and I wired it from "scratch" as I used toggle switches in the dash board. I never could figure out how to get the "park function" to function with a toggle switch. I finally gave up and just used a two way toggle switch for low and high. At the time I believed this may be an issue for when I had to turn the wipers off during a race... however, it really is not that big of deal as rain races at the amatuer level are really just a test of survival.

The multi function switches get used and abused a lot in most modern cars. They were frequently requested items at Napa and the stealership counter. I had the cast parts crack in an earlier Mustang’s MFS. It’s good you have back up pieces for military style testing.

Reactions: 1 user