Wiring LED/NEON Lights to dome light

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang4life99

Jul 12, 2010
hey guys,

i just bought a pair of LED lights for my 2001 mustang gt and i dont want to plug them or splice into my cigarette lighter. i wanna them to turn on illuminate with dome light and when i open my doors. can anyone please let me know if they have dnt this before or if it can be done.

o appreciate all the help in advanced, i am also trying to this, this weekend as i have a date and i am trying to impress lol thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I may be missing something here. But why wouldn't you just replace the lamps in the dome light?

Or are you trying to mount the lights someplace else? If so, tap into the GEM pin #3 BK/WH wire. The lights will work exactly like the dome lights.

You will need to find a suitable grounding location. Which won't be hard behind the dash. Just make sure that all of the ground wires to the left of the radio remain connected. If not, your next thread will be about "strange electrical problems after installing LED lights".

The GEM is located up under the dash. The manual says, "behind dash, Left hand side". An no, I don't have any pictures. You are on your own.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Wmburns thanks for the help, so all I have to do is splice the neon/led light into the #3 wire and ground the rest????

Also sorry I forgot to mention, I did change the dome lights to LEDs and am trying to mount neon/ led bars under the dash.
Btw which is better neon or LEDs??? Thanks again

Trinity Gt: I already did almost everything to my car with the exception of an s/c or major engine alterations. I also DONT race and have tons of mods Which exempts me from categorized as a "ricer". But thanks ne way.

Wmburns thanks for the help, so all I have to do is splice the neon/led light into the #3 wire and ground the rest????
I gave you the module information, the module pin numbers, and the wire color. Also mentioned the lights will need to be grounded just the same as any electrical device.

Just so I can improve my word smithing skills, how was I not clear with the first reply?

I may be missing something here. But why wouldn't you just replace the lamps in the dome light?

Or are you trying to mount the lights someplace else? If so, tap into the GEM pin #3 BK/WH wire. The lights will work exactly like the dome lights.

You will need to find a suitable grounding location. Which won't be hard behind the dash. Just make sure that all of the ground wires to the left of the radio remain connected. If not, your next thread will be about "strange electrical problems after installing LED lights".

The GEM is located up under the dash. The manual says, "behind dash, Left hand side". An no, I don't have any pictures. You are on your own.

Good luck.

+1
Find ya' self an autozone, get a Add-a-Fuse wire(the mini fuse), look below the driver Knee bolster where the fuse module is and find the one that the head lights operate off of. The next is pretty obvious.
I bought some LEDs off of ebay to turn my Gauges into LED gauges this way.

I gave you the module information, the module pin numbers, and the wire color. Also mentioned the lights will need to be grounded just the same as any electrical device.

Just so I can improve my word smithing skills, how was I not clear with the first reply?

hey just wanted to let u know that pin# 3 on the GEM is vacant, so there is NO black.white wire, so next time u try to get antsy/snotty, make sure u are knoweldgeable of what u are talking about. but i did splice into the dome light and got my LED working.

hey just wanted to let u know that pin# 3 on the GEM is vacant, so there is NO black.white wire, so next time u try to get antsy/snotty, make sure u are knoweldgeable of what u are talking about. but i did splice into the dome light and got my LED working.
Calm down there partner, SN-95s come w/different options from the factory, So there could have been used for someting on the same make/model and year on a different car. You could have used the headlight fuse to be sure. This is not hard task by any means.

Let me ask you. Did you know about the GEM module before the post?

What color was the dome light wire that you did find? Where did you intercept it?

FWIIW, I will offer you a 100% refund on the $$ you paid for the advice. So enjoy.

1,558+ posts later, 1 refund. I guess you can't win them all.

Attachments

• diagram-89-2.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 513
Helping morons on the web is a thankless job. And sometimes not only do you NOT get thanked but also pro mechanics like BHUFF will sometimes dis you just for trying to help. Yay what fun

so next time u try to get antsy/snotty, make sure u are knoweldgeable of what u are talking about.

Pull up a chair and take a listen - You have just taken a shot at one of StangNet's best knowledge resources - one that has always been honest and fair and incredibly patient. WMBurns has been a wealth of knowledge since day 1 and quietly and consistently delivers accurate and concise technical information. He does know what he is talking about. He knows it quite well.

Your newbie a$$ mouthing off will not, I repeat, will not be tolerated nor forgotten. I suggest that YOU not get so "antsy/snotty" and be thankful for each and every bit of good, solid advice you receive here. If you plan to just come to StangNet and demand that someone hold your hand, then be prepared to be flamed a bit - it comes with the territory. If you are a dumba$$ and/or don't know much or anything about Mustangs or just cars in general, admit it. Tell us. You'll find folks are much more lenient on people who admit that they really need help and don't know much about cars.

So, here is your chance. You can either choose to mouth off again or figure out that it might have been better if you had not sent the above referenced post. We're here to help anyone and everyone, we do it for free, but we expect respect. Respect deserves respect. If you want it, you gotta give it.

So take a lesson here - and don't respond to me - there is nothing left to say. Just in the future remember to throttle back a little bit, think before you post, don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet (a personal pet peeve of mine - people tend to talk smack when their audience is scattered across the country and around the globe), and let those who you are asking to help you know what your skill level is.

Oh, and two more tidbits...giving you my full nickel's worth -
Neon and Mustang do not, I repeat, do not go together.
If you need to put put neon or LED lights in your car to impress your date, well, umm, geez, I don't even know where to go with this one...

Kilgore trout. **** YOU!!! The only thing Thtats owned is ur mothers **** by me.
Twogts4us. Any other day I would ve blasted you but since u put up a fine argument. I will say that I should ve said what my skills level was. On electrical is 4 out of 10 mechanical 8 out of 10. But this would ve been better if it was told by wmburns. Oh I m not a newbie. I just created this account, I have several accounts on other sites from past years. With same name.

And I do apologize to wmburns. I was frustrated after spending 2 hours trying to figure out how to make it work, and I m also apologizing to trombonedemon, ateup, twogts4us and trinity Gt for the unconvience. Wmburns, I spliced into the dome
Light which runs behind the front passenger side pillar, there are 3 wires I spliced into the black with white strip
As it is the one that controls the main light, other wire is ground and the last wire is for the 2 convience lights that accompany the dome light. Thanks for ur help n But still **** you Kilgore trout!!!!

Twogts4us. Any other day I would ve blasted you but since u put up a fine argument.
Bring...It...On. Oh, but before you attempt that, you should really learn how to spell, how to punctuate properly, how to write complete sentences, etc...just some basic 6th grade grammar lessons.
I will say that I should ve said what my skills level was. On electrical is 4 out of 10 mechanical 8 out of 10. But this would ve been better if it was told by wmburns.
It was a "fine argument", but you just didn't like it being delivering by me? :shrug:
Oh I m not a newbie. I just created this account, I have several accounts on other sites from past years. With same name.
You are a newbie here newbie.

And I do apologize to wmburns. I was frustrated after spending 2 hours trying to figure out how to make it work, and I m also apologizing to trombonedemon, ateup, twogts4us and trinity Gt for the unconvience. Wmburns, I spliced into the dome
Light which runs behind the front passenger side pillar, there are 3 wires I spliced into the black with white strip
As it is the one that controls the main light, other wire is ground and the last wire is for the 2 convience lights that accompany the dome light. Thanks for ur help n

Kilgore trout. **** YOU!!! The only thing Thtats owned is ur mothers **** by me.

But still **** you Kilgore trout!!!!

Keep your apology until you apologize to Kilgore. Your comments directed at him (and his mother? Dude, what is wrong with you?) were COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE.

:ban:

Status
Not open for further replies.