Engine With all smog components deleted, will that activate a CEL?

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
Just gathering info for now. I have a '93 5.0 EFI that'll be going into something else. It will have a PCV valve but no EGR, no smog equipment of any kind including TAB/TAD/air pump and no Cats. Will any of these missing components activate the CEL?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it's going into a '54 Ford Customline. Another question. Will the deleting of these smog components affect the fuel or timing tables in the ECU? IOW, will the car run properly with everything disconnected?!

It will run OK, but it may have some odd things. A properly working EGR helps with the gas mileage a bit, but if the computer doesn't see the EGR sensor, it will bypass the EGR functions in the computer's firmware.

The EGR would be the main culprit. This one would trip the cel and cause the ECU to alter its programming slightly. You can have it permanently deleted with a tune.

The other stuff will set soft codes that don’t trip a light or effect much.

Is there enough hood space for the EFI intake? :shrug:
What if they smog check your 54? :jester:
Tons of clearance for the intake. Also, it's smog exempt 'cause it's registered as a '54!

today7.JPG

Tons of clearance for the intake. Also, it's smog exempt 'cause it's registered as a '54!
I figured a factory oil bath air cleaner on the original engine would require lots of hood clearance. Do you think there is enough side clearance for a 351? I have a relative who would rather get an EFI roller block from a truck than rebuild a flat head for a 53 Merc. Thanks for the pic!

The emissions EM inspection was a joke, I hope.

Yeah, 351's fit. They're the same length as a 302 but the width is just a hair bigger. You drivers side header may come into contact with the steering box but you can dimple that. Many guys run 351's in their '52-'59 Fords.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
EGR is a emissions thing, EPA, DPPA, hell likely the FBI and ASPCA too are cracking down on things sold that defeat emissions stuff even if they didn't work.
add that to the list of stuff that's hard to find for our cars.

the smog nazi's must have stopped most people from selling them. found one

you an easily make one

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
cleans up the engine bay
if you live in the south you dont miss it
if you have a tune you don't need it
What does the south have to do with not missing it?
An EGR valve is easier to find than a tune here.
As far as cleaning up the engine bay, is it that big of deal?
It might have been mostly the surging idle checklist, but my 302 runs better with the smog stuff on, and except for the computer, it’s not stock.

Edit, it’s not like the OP is going to even try to pass this enhgine off as a stock 54. That manifold is too iconic, and to me, the EGR is part of the expected look. Since it runs cleaner at cruise with the EGR (even without cats!), it does not affect full throttle performance, and he probably does not otherwise need a tune for major performance parts, it’s a waste of money to delete it.
It’s his money to spend on his car, so now he knows all that deleting it will do is polute the air a bit more while possibly cleaning up the engine bay, @evintho , do what you want and enjoy the car!

Last edited:
What does the south have to do with not missing it?
An EGR valve is easier to find than a tune here.
As far as cleaning up the engine bay, is it that big of deal?
It might have been mostly the surging idle checklist, but my 302 runs better with the smog stuff on, and except for the computer, it’s not stock.

Edit, it’s not like the OP is going to even try to pass this enhgine off as a stock 54. That manifold is too iconic, and to me, the EGR is part of the expected look. Since it runs cleaner at cruise with the EGR (even without cats!), it does not affect full throttle performance, and he probably does not otherwise need a tune for major performance parts, it’s a waste of money to delete it.
It’s his money to spend on his car, so now he knows all that deleting it will do is polute the air a bit more while possibly cleaning up the engine bay, @evintho , do what you want and enjoy the car!

I have Fox Body cars with both the EGR and without. It depends on the use case and never had a surging idle because of a deleted EGR
In warm weather climates, the EGR is not as important as up north for warm up
If you are that concerned about our polutting the air, then let's all adopt the crazy California laws banning gas lawn mowers, never modify or alter any of our cars, crush all cars older than 30 years old. shut down all coal mines, and everyone drive an EV right? lol . You do realize half the states have no emissions testing for decades yet have clean air and water vs. the states with the most regulation, and that Europe, China, and all other industrialized countries pollute far more than we do.

Like you said, it's his car. I am giving him options.