Wits end

sidl3000

Apr 4, 2005
ok so I have a previous post on this topic. I am about ready to give up and go carbed because I cannot figure out what to do to get my 5.0 to stop running rich. I have done the following to try and correct the problem. Took it to a mechanic who hooked it up to the computer and changed the BAP sensor the TPS and the fuel pressure regulator. WHen I got it back after paying almost 500$ I put a new computer in new o2 sensors and a coolant temp sensor all to no avail. I am so frustrated. All the feedback I get is to dump the codes but I don't see what good that will do if the codes were already checked and everything was corrected that the diagnostics test said. I'm leary of taking it to another mechanic for I can't afford to pay another 500$ for my car not to be fixed. I am so tempted to switch to carb. but I have spent so muh money on this efi that its all almost new so it would be a waste to change. Also I forgot to mention that when I swaped the engine out I also put a new upper and lower Typhoon intake on it, and to my knowledge that should not make a difference but if anyone has any input on where to go next please let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

I did not see a sig - if you run an O/R (off road) pipe (or dont have cats), it can be normal to smell unburnt gas. how is your milage?

yes I have an off road h-pipe but there should not be black smoke and it really does it when you hit the gas it bogs down big time way to much fuel. I just went and bought one of those ford code readers and i hooked it up but I cannot get it to pull codes. does this mean that I am not getting power to the eec?

can you pull codes with a paperclip? that would take one variable out of the scenario.

if you were not getting power to the EEC, the car would not run.

good luck.

Michael Yount said:
Are there any modifications to the car? Oh yeah, while you're at it - if you could tell us what kind of car and year it is, that might help too.
Shhh, that info is a secret. :)

If you did the old paperclip trick to pull the codes, it might give us a better starting point to have you troubleshoot. Just return that code reader and get your $$ back :)

Oh, and I'm not sure if this would cause such a problem, but when you deleted your smog, did you plug the ports up from the back of the heads?

James et al, are correct - we need the entire low down (are you MAF? Etc). AFAIK, a non-Cali '88 GT should have been SD, so no BAP (unless it is a Cali car or converted). But info like that is very much needed to help.

good luck.

In your initial post you said the dealer replaced the "BAP" --- Speed density cars don't have a BAP - they have an MAP (manifold absolute pressure). Check that sensor - the vacuum 'nipple' should be connected to manifold vacuum. The BAP's are left open to sense atmospheric pressure (Barometric Absolute Pressure). If yours is not hooked up to vacuum - and is seeing atmospheric pressure all the time - that might explain the rich condition; atmospheric pressure is close to what the manifold sees at w.o.t.....

Michael Yount said:
In your initial post you said the dealer replaced the "BAP" --- Speed density cars don't have a BAP - they have an MAP (manifold absolute pressure). Check that sensor - the vacuum 'nipple' should be connected to manifold vacuum. The BAP's are left open to sense atmospheric pressure (Barometric Absolute Pressure). If yours is not hooked up to vacuum - and is seeing atmospheric pressure all the time - that might explain the rich condition; atmospheric pressure is close to what the manifold sees at w.o.t.....

I agree with this one , friends car was running like crap when he first got it and he thought it was running good , well after fixing the vacuum leaks , hooking the MAP up like it was supposed to be and good tune up and bumping the timing , he didnt know what to say ....on a speed density 87-88 model (88 non california) that MAP (not BAP ) sensor has to be hooked up to a vacuum source for the computer to adjust the fuel , timing , etc .......but one more thing to add and I would do anyway is to check fuel pressure , if its too high put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it ( stock is 38-40 psi , if you put an adjustable one on turn it back to 35-37 )

Michael Thank you sooooooo much that fixed it. The MAP was not hooked up with a vaccum line and I put one on and mucho mucho power engine runs great thanks everyone for your input. I haven't driven this car in six months. Damn I missed it