WMS intake vs CDC Shaker

05PhillyStang

Oct 28, 2004
Both of these products are advertised as "Ram Air." They are obviously set in different ways, but I was curious which outperforms the other. Also, the Shaker system is much more expensive. Is it worth the premium in price?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be interested in this comparison as well. The shaker looks cool but the WMS system is a pretty interesting design once you add the ram air box to it. Bonus is WMS is about 10 minutes from me so I can always go there for support.

Its very hard to prove the outputs of ram air systems due to the fact you have to be moving for it to work and also at a high speed. It comes down to asthetics. If you like the look of a shaker hood, buy it. If you wanna go stealthy and not let anyone know you have ram air, go with the WMS. I have a shaker hood on my 5.0. I only got it because of the looks and how it moved around with my 347. Actually gains? I found no difference in ET between a big K&N filter sitting in the engine bay and the shaker hood. However, my mph did increase, but only by 1 mph.

ramjetlx said:
Its very hard to prove the outputs of ram air systems due to the fact you have to be moving for it to work and also at a high speed. It comes down to asthetics. If you like the look of a shaker hood, buy it. If you wanna go stealthy and not let anyone know you have ram air, go with the WMS. I have a shaker hood on my 5.0. I only got it because of the looks and how it moved around with my 347. Actually gains? I found no difference in ET between a big K&N filter sitting in the engine bay and the shaker hood. However, my mph did increase, but only by 1 mph.

I just installed the WMS intake on my car this weekend. I chose this one because of the asthetics, and because it was so much different from the others. I plan on eventually changing out my hood for a "California Dream" Ram Air hood or maybe the Saleen hood. I considered the shaker but opted for the lower profile. Now I just need to get over for a run on a Dyno and find out what kind of gains I actually ended up with.

cda1028 said:
I just installed the WMS intake on my car this weekend. I chose this one because of the asthetics, and because it was so much different from the others. I plan on eventually changing out my hood for a "California Dream" Ram Air hood or maybe the Saleen hood. I considered the shaker but opted for the lower profile. Now I just need to get over for a run on a Dyno and find out what kind of gains I actually ended up with.

Thats a great choice!! I wanna keep my new mustang low pro too. But remember that a ram air setup works by forcing moving air into the system, so the dyno may not accurately show the full potential of it. Also, most setups are effective at 70mph and above, depending on the positioning of the scoop also. So dont be diappointed if the gains arent what you expect, its probably alot higher then what the dyno will show.

I imagine the CAI effects will probably be a nice jump by itself. The Ram Air is really just a plus in my mind.

And I agree asthetics are pretty much what I'd be waffling over. I love the look of the CDC, just not sure if it's what I want on my ride. You sorta get tied to one hood and while I don't know if I'll ever change my hood I'd like the ability to use a wide variety if I do choose to change it.

CDA I'd love to hear some more feedback on the install, seat of the pants feel any pics and of course your dyno results!

CDA - I'll second cowtown's request. I've heard a lot of talk about the WMS kit, but no one had it installed.

I posted part of an email from a WMS rep in another thread. I was inquiring about using the Cervini's Ram Air hood with the WMS kit. She said it wouldn't work because of Cervini's inlet location. But she did mention that RK Sport's California Dreamin' hood would work, but that it may be a moot point because the WMS kit already is designed to get as much air as possible.

I think I may get the WMS with the RK Sport hood. Even if it doesn't add airflow, I still like it for looks

the WMS sucks the air right above the radiator, making it really hot, which probably will kill any horsepower gains made by having ram air. shaker only works with stock airbox, otherwise it doesnt do anything. go with C&L

official_style said:
the WMS sucks the air right above the radiator, making it really hot, which probably will kill any horsepower gains made by having ram air. shaker only works with stock airbox, otherwise it doesnt do anything. go with C&L

If you get the tray along with the intake on the WMS, you should be okay since the air would be coming in right through the grill. Also, I was told on this site that a insualtion blanket underneath the tray would help even more.

cowtown said:
I imagine the CAI effects will probably be a nice jump by itself. The Ram Air is really just a plus in my mind.

And I agree asthetics are pretty much what I'd be waffling over. I love the look of the CDC, just not sure if it's what I want on my ride. You sorta get tied to one hood and while I don't know if I'll ever change my hood I'd like the ability to use a wide variety if I do choose to change it.

CDA I'd love to hear some more feedback on the install, seat of the pants feel any pics and of course your dyno results!

The install was quite a bit easier than I had expected. Keep in mind that I am very mechanically inclined but relatively green when it comes to any serious automotive work. The hardest part of the whole thing is relocating the overflow reservoir simply because of the clamps. The new hoses that come with the kit are thicker than the ones from the factory so the original clamps do not fit back on. All in all it only took a couple of hours, very straight forward. I really think that I can feel a difference in engine power, but it might just be because I want to feel it.

Now I did not initially purchase the tray because it appears that the only way the air gets into it is through the little opening in the front by the hood latch and above the headlamps. Of course I will probably end up ordering it anyway, someone a lot smarter than me said it improves the results.

One thing I noticed is that even though the filter slopes forward, like it should, it still pushes up against the hood liner. I will take photos tomorrow in the day light so you can see how it turned out.

cda1028 said:
Now I did not initially purchase the tray because it appears that the only way the air gets into it is through the little opening in the front by the hood latch and above the headlamps. Of course I will probably end up ordering it anyway, someone a lot smarter than me said it improves the results.

One thing I noticed is that even though the filter slopes forward, like it should, it still pushes up against the hood liner. I will take photos tomorrow in the day light so you can see how it turned out.

I wouldnt order the WMS Intake without the tray. A couple questions. And are you saying when you close the hood it hits the filter? Did you order a computer tuner with it? Also did you notice an increase in your MPG?

I may be getting an order together here for a Vista Blue 2006 GT. Financially things seem to be falling in line this week. My dealer has a line on one with exactly the specs I want outside of having a spoiler (blah) so it'll come down to whether or not he can work out a deal with them, and then a deal with me. If that starts to shake down I may have to swing by WMS and chat them up. They probably have a car there with one installed. Like I said they're only 10-15 minutes from my home or office.

V8JamesGT said:
I wouldnt order the WMS Intake without the tray. A couple questions. And are you saying when you close the hood it hits the filter? Did you order a computer tuner with it? Also did you notice an increase in your MPG?

Yes, when the hood closes it touches the filter.:notnice:
I included a couple of pics so you can see what I mean. The filter slopes down in the front, it does this naturally when properly installed on the TB. I did not order a tuner with it. Basically it is a plug and play type mod. The ads state 'no tune req'. I have just finished the first tank of gas with this installed and it looks like I might get 10-20 more mpg for the tank. So not much improvement overall. Of course the mpg might be a little low since I have been pushing harder testing the increased power. I am planning on buying a tuner in the near future so it should help clean things up.

Attachments

• 06Mustang 011.jpg
    06Mustang 011.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 06Mustang 012.jpg
    06Mustang 012.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 169
actual ram air is pretty much non existant. it just moves more cool air toward the intake for a cooler charge. its a true CAI with the shield, not really ram air....