worked on my car

shaunstang21

Jul 16, 2009
dexter, MO
i started out the day just fine. i put my solid motor mounts in ,then i sit the motor in the car. i was just thinking to myself "i finally got something done". so i started putting the headers on. the passenger side went right on ,but notice the top of the header was no where near the ports on the head and the header was rubbing the fender well. i just left in for now. then i moved to the driver side the header wasn't even close. i took a little break and looked at a old mustang book i had ,a pic of a 351w kind of caught my eye. i said to my friend that looks just like my motor. Immediately i ran out to my car with my 4bbl intake and sure enough my intake did not fit. the intake on the motor was a bit bigger. all i have to say is WTF i have so many 302 parts. don't know this is good or bad. i sure hope everyone day went a little better than mine.

• Sponsors (?)

i am pretty new when it come to mustangs. i got the motor given to me. the guy told me that is was a 302 ,and i dont know how to tell the difference. i know the 351 makes more power ,but they are also a bigger pain to put in.

I guess that can be a good "surprise".

One of the easiest ways to tell the difference right off the bat is the water passages on the front of the motor where the timing cover/water pump goes. On a 302 they are almost even with the cylinder head deck. On a 351 they are about an inch and a half below the cylinder head deck. This is because of the taller deck height of the 351.