Engine Wrench light?

GTconnor08

Feb 22, 2013
Hey guys, i had a wrench light come on my dash when i was driving to college the other day. I accelerated from a stop sign and let off the gas and was coasting and then the wrench light came on the dash. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? The car is a bone stock 08 mustang GT automatic with 26k miles on it. Any help would be great, thanks. -Connor

• Sponsors (?)

My manual says its the "electronic throttle control" light, it also says that the vehicle will go into "limp home mode" until the issue is resolved. I have 26,000 miles on the car, if it was a maintenance light im sure it would have come on at some point before. I appreciate the input though.

My manual says its the "electronic throttle control" light, it also says that the vehicle will go into "limp home mode" until the issue is resolved. I have 26,000 miles on the car, if it was a maintenance light im sure it would have come on at some point before. I appreciate the input though.
It serves several purposes if I am correct. Tire pressure monitor etc.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Did the car drive sluggish while the light was on? If so, that would be Limp Mode as mentioned about. Once the car is shut off for a while, the computer will reset itself and you should be good to go. It happened to me when I hit the throttle while the cruise control was on. It occured that one time and never happened again. Hopefully you'll be in the same boat.

Well im not sure to be honest, i pulled off into some neighborhoods right after the light came on. I was only driving at 15mph but it felt the same. I shut the car off and restarted it and it was gone, i just worry that i have an issue brewing up. Maybe it was a fluke though, i guess ill find out. Thanks for the help.

Hey guys, i had a wrench light come on my dash when i was driving to college the other day. I accelerated from a stop sign and let off the gas and was coasting and then the wrench light came on the dash. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? The car is a bone stock 08 mustang GT automatic with 26k miles on it. Any help would be great, thanks. -Connor
Hello GTconnor08,

I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

You'll need to do some datalogging of live data through the OBD 2 diagnostic port while driving to pinpoint the problem.
The wrench light will usually come on when there's a discrepancy between the throttle position commanded by the accelerator position sensor, and the throttle position sensed by the TPS.
Since you've already replaced the TPS, the accelerator position sensor could be at fault but it's more likely that the throttle body motor has gone south.

I don't have the wrench light. I have something like this, (!) It blinks on start up, but not every time. And lasts only a minute or os before stopping. Have no clue what it means. Guess I need to find an owners manual for this car. LOL!!

Plus an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD 2 scanner to retrieve fault codes and record live data. Just download the Car Scanner App into your smartphone, pair it up with the Bluetooth scanner, and have fun.

Plus an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD 2 scanner to retrieve fault codes and record live data. Just download the Car Scanner App into your smartphone, pair it up with the Bluetooth scanner, and have fun.

I don't have a "smart phone". I'm the last hold out, I suppose. I still have a ten year old flip phone with the original battery still in it. LOL!!