X vs H-pipe

Andy P.

Jan 23, 2019
Leavenworth, KS
Why is it that there are a bunch of xpipes of s197 v6’s but hardly any hpipes. It seems like they are the exact sam except for the h and x shape. Neither of them bend up to go to the cats, so why wouldn’t they fit. As you can see in the pictures, the length and spacing both look the same so I don’t know why so many people say hpipes wont fit on a v6.

There is no reason that a 2.5” X pipe assembly will not work on the V-6 Auto, the only obstacle would be the driveshaft being a bit closer to the pipes intersecting (slightly larger with the X) where the H is more slender. It’s not an issue, whether Catted or off road, using OE manifolds, shorty or LT Headers.
I will say there is very little increases in HP/TQ between the X or Y in this app., and in many opinions, the H actually sounds better than the X.
Pipes makes a nice setup for the V-6, take a peek on A.Muscle. Below is a pic of an X on an Auto Trans. 3.7, V-6. Hope this helps! John

Thanks for the answer man. I know I’ll hardly will make any hp and I wanted the H-Pipe because of the sound. I just didn’t know if an H-Pipe had some weird consequence which is why no one makes an H-Pipe for a v6. Once I get my overaxle pipes, I’ll put it all together. Thanks again.

PNo problem! I do, however apologize for the Syntax error(s) on my part, the H Pipe is what I’d intended to say will, indeed work on the V-6 Auto, the X Availablity is less than the X, but are
out there, many at most of the typical suppliers. The picture I’d listed was to show how much closer the X Pipe is, being MORE of an obstacle, the V- it is by far, the best. And they’re BOTH excellent, don’t get me wrong, but the sound quality, IMHO, provides a more Nostalgic tone when running an H. An even BETTER tone is realized running (2) unconnected pipes on the V-6, friend of mine races an 06’ V-6 Mustang, drives it to the track, uses the ‘H”
pipe & removes yo onsryvpout to add cutouts for RaceTime.
I think you will find increased V-6 H pipe joavailability for both V-6 & V-8 platforms as time progresses , as HP/TQ differences amount to very little between the two.
Sometimes tweaking of things are required for installing exhaust systems, so a sawzall, 4” grinder & a MIG (and couplers that.slide over exhaust system Pipe, to clamp or weld in if requires, if exact fitmant is neededtake care! John