Yes , You Shpuld Cerama Coat Your Car

Robert Arco

Jan 28, 2017
If you know anything about cerama coating you will hear the cries of "Its only good on new cars" or you "must have perfect paint". Only the second part is half true. I have done 2 vehicles myself now and its the best thing I ever did. Each in a different condition.

Now, for my 9 year old Mustang, the paint was very good but it had the typical swirls and imperfections you get after a certain amount of time. Nothing that jumped out because white HIDES a lot...but if you know what to look for....So I did it the right way

First - wash wash wash and degrease

Second - Clay bar to get off the contaminants that embed in your clear coat

third - I used Dr. colorchip on some small chips (very small) so that I had a good base
4th - completely rubbed the car down with alcohol to degrease

5th - Now here is the work - you need to prep your paint using the 3 step process of compound, polish and micro-polish. I used 3M 1,2, 3. There are other brands and big names but go with what the pro's use. I bought an inexpensive buffing wheel and 3 good pads of the right type (Red , yellow, black in that order) that go with the process

Don't worry about burning your paint. Keep moving, be gentle, watch a bunch of youtube videos. YOU CAN DO THIS. its work and this is why guys get $1500 to do your car with a $80 bottle of stuff. That part is the EASY part.

A cool thing about the process is the spots you did with Dr.Colorchip will blend pretty well...very hard to find.

Done polishing ? Great. Now wash and clean. Then when it has dried (by hand and then overnight) you AGAIN want to wipe the whole car down with alcohol. Now you are ready

apply your product in 2x2ft squares. Drying is just a few minutes and wipe that section smooth with microfiber towel. When done with the car, let it sit overnight. NOTE - YOU MUST DO THIS INDOORS !

You are going to be amazed. Its like glass. Holds up. Water rolls off. Dust and dirt don't want to stick and every time you wash it, it looks freshly waxed.

My mustang was coated 3 months ago (see pictures of the shine) and I jus did my wife's 2014 Escape she just bought. 29K miles, perfect body, didn't need to polish, just clay bar...It was that good. Again, check the picture. Questions ? Just ask me

Look at the reflection of the trees

WP_20170928_09_48_39_Rich.jpg

WP_20170928_09_47_25_Rich.jpg

WP_20170928_09_46_42_Rich.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

BTW...for those that didn't know Cerama coating is NOT just a topical shield. It actually works and embeds in your clear coat so it is not just a shell. Doing this process WILL preserve your clear and save you a ton on not having to wax. In fact you should NOT wax. Want to add shine? They make silica bashed BOOSTERS you can put on every couple of washes (if you want) that is chemical friendly ...think of it as a cerama coat light.

Lots of good brands. I have used Migliore and Cquartz (us, not UK which is for colder climes) ...but there are many brands