87 5.0 Troubleshooting & Solutions

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys a bit off topic but if you ever decide to go hydraulic clutch here is how the builder did mine. I remember once we were going to drive my buddy's 500hp fox up in NY (it had a small fire earlier) and when he pushed in the clutch, pop! Cable snapped. Anyway, there are a few different ways to do the slave cylinder bracket, just search miata t5 clutch etc.
IMG_00007208_edit_edit_zpsquu3uknr.jpg

I guess it was easier to do this than swap in a cable setup. Not totally sure.

A new hole was drilled further down the fork to prevent slave shaft binding.

Last edited:
Slightly more on topic is low profile oil pan. Due to the sub frame I don't know, dry sump may be the only option. Reason for this is impact marks on the pan. The car doesn't have adjustable coil overs yet (bilstiens are still on the parts car awaiting re valve) or I would raise it for more clearance.

IMG_00007238_edit_zpssu8sjc1y.jpg

Excuse the 2010 grassroots budget exhaust. Hoping to go 3" properly in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_00007208_edit_edit_zpsquu3uknr.jpg
    IMG_00007208_edit_edit_zpsquu3uknr.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 91
Plugs

cyl 2 and 4 are black with deposits. This cyl bank also puffs white, at least on cold start. Cyl 6 leaked a small puddle. Occasionally it misfires (every few seconds) and feels hesitant at light throttle. I believe most of the issue is exhaust pipes flattened in half under the subframe.

Planning for mass air conversion, new wiring harness, and proper exhaust with o2 sensors.

Today I did what I should have done a long time ago. Fired it up and pulled injector wires while listening to the engine. Turns out 4 and 5 aren't working. Got a loaner noid light tester and, to my amazement, they were getting pulse. Now I'm at the parts store swapping out those injectors. If you have a misfire, check your injectors!

I wasn't able to test plugs 7 and 8 due to the intake manifold. Any suggestions?

Today I did what I should have done a long time ago. Fired it up and pulled injector wires while listening to the engine. Turns out 4 and 5 aren't working. Got a loaner noid light tester and, to my amazement, they were getting pulse. Now I'm at the parts store swapping out those injectors. If you have a misfire, check your injectors!

I wasn't able to test plugs 7 and 8 due to the intake manifold. Any suggestions?

if you are replacing injectors, do them all at the same time. Be sure to use new O rings and oil them so they don't tear on installation

Curses. The new injectors didn't help. Either these remanufactured are also bad or injectors aren't the problem. For now I'll be happy with a V6 and loud valve tick.

Ruled out so far:
Distributor and tfi module
Plug wires and plugs
TPS
Fuel pressure
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel rail
Vacuum
Timing
Compression
Ignition coil
Injectors - assuming both the remans are good

What are the chances an intake valve is stuck shut? That would explain the gunshot backfires...

if you are replacing injectors, do them all at the same time. Be sure to use new O rings and oil them so they don't tear on installation

Thanks, I did this a few months ago but paid a lot for reman injectors for whatever that's worth. Old ones were full of dirt from the tank - dry rotted fuel pickup sock. That's when I replaced the fuel filter, rail, and pressure regulator.

Last edited:
Decent amount of oil in the throttle body, guess i need a catch can. This can't be normal. Piston rings shot?

IMG_00008060_zpsw24paqdl.jpg

Looking at the headers it's plain to see #4 is not firing.

IMG_00008062_zps2sq6chgl.jpg

Ok I'm not sure what to look for here. Seems normal.

IMG_00008063_zpsun4omgf6.jpg

They are stock replacement motorcraft. 4 and 5 are dark from the plug wires being swapped. The rest are ok except #2. It's nasty but not sure why.

Pretty sure it's stock HO cam and definitely HO firing order.

It's pretty wild to drive now! Especially with the 4.1 rx7 rear end. Poor tires.