Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

Looking good bro! How quick do you think you can get this car back on the road?

Well, it depends on family stuff tomorrow... That and I'm not certain that my 1.72 rr won't cause PTV issues and I don't know that my pushrods are the right length... I'd say, minimum 1 week. Worst case, 2-3 weeks. I'm gonna take my time and make sure it's right since my daily is a 2014 GT.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So today I got more done despite getting home at 3am last night from seeing Tanya Tucker and then trying to watch the Masters today as well. I've now got the heads off, and just need to go buy a puller to remove the harmonic balancer then I can get the timing set and cam off. It looks like I've got a stock 87-93 long block (car was originally a 4 banger) and I didn't know for sure what would be inside... pistons have stock ford markings on them and valve reliefs so I know it's at least newer than 86. Not much crosshatching left but the compression was good before the tear down began and I'm fine with this thing running as is as long as it chooses to live as I don't race it or even beat on it really.

And HOLY EFF BALLS why didn't someone tell me how friggen heavy the stock E7 heads are? I feel like I can skip the gym tomorrow after lifting the pair of them off there.

413F8454-364A-4001-8AC6-7EA5811F2A78_zpsmaja8ade.jpg
2DEA8849-7357-4E3D-9F3F-32F4A5112D3E_zpslq8nefga.jpg
90EE942C-B648-4636-8622-35986E8BC636_zpsnw94u6iu.jpg
08C61DEC-E8B4-4000-8E66-CB5D154E9966_zpsqtar11wz.jpg
5D983903-C90B-4983-83FF-4C8A62947838_zpscngthcv7.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
So today I got more done despite getting home at 3am last night from seeing Tanya Tucker and then trying to watch the Masters today as well. I've now got the heads off, and just need to go buy a puller to remove the harmonic balancer then I can get the timing set and cam off. It looks like I've got a stock 87-93 long block (car was originally a 4 banger) and I didn't know for sure what would be inside... pistons have stock ford markings on them and valve reliefs so I know it's at least newer than 86. Not much crosshatching left but the compression was good before the tear down began and I'm fine with this thing running as is as long as it chooses to live as I don't race it or even beat on it really.

And HOLY EFF BALLS why didn't someone tell me how friggen heavy the stock E7 heads are? I feel like I can skip the gym tomorrow after lifting the pair of them off there.

413F8454-364A-4001-8AC6-7EA5811F2A78_zpsmaja8ade.jpg
2DEA8849-7357-4E3D-9F3F-32F4A5112D3E_zpslq8nefga.jpg
90EE942C-B648-4636-8622-35986E8BC636_zpsnw94u6iu.jpg
08C61DEC-E8B4-4000-8E66-CB5D154E9966_zpsqtar11wz.jpg
5D983903-C90B-4983-83FF-4C8A62947838_zpscngthcv7.jpg
Excellent progress man! Those old heads do weigh a little bit, don't they? Lol. I didn't pull mine off till after we had the engine out of the bay and on a stand.

Hey bro watching the Masters isn't going to make your car faster!! Get in the garage! Ha!!

The last time I picked up a GT40 head I was convinced of the "go aluminum heads, it saves weight too" sales pitch. Especially if focusing a bit on AutoX and/or road racing the removal of weight up front and addition of weight in the back from the IRS is a good move for overall weight balance of our cars. I'll be hitting up my first AutoX and road coarse test'n tune next month hopefully.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey bro watching the Masters isn't going to make your car faster!! Get in the garage! Ha!!

The last time I picked up a GT40 head I was convinced of the "go aluminum heads, it saves weight too" sales pitch. Especially if focusing a bit on AutoX and/or road racing the removal of weight up front and addition of weight in the back from the IRS is a good move for overall weight balance of our cars. I'll be hitting up my first AutoX and road coarse test'n tune next month hopefully.

Yeah, the Masters didn't make the car faster but I'm an avid golfer as well and Jordan is a hometown hero (despite the meltdown).

So I was going to work on the notch tonight but got side tracked by the hail storm here that beat up my 2014 GT/CS (again, 2 years and 1 week since the last time) and very likely my roof. Roofer will be here tomorrow and then I'll get to deal with insurance again. This storm wasn't quite as bad as 2 years ago, but enough to damage at least 5 panels that I've seen so far on the GT which will likely be most of them when seen in the proper light and clean. So, instead of going out and working in the garage tonight I'm gonna watch the Moto GP race from yesterday on my DVR and finish tearing down the engine tomorrow...

Sorry, you're right, it kind of was a cold joke.

Ice cold man...

I'm curious if a body shop can remove those type of dings without any damage to the paint. I don't think i've ever seen a vehicle with hail damage in person.

It depends, it's not THAT bad especially compared to some of the neighborhoods like 10 miles east of me, they got softball sized hail. Most of the dings are pretty small and likely can be fixed with PDR (paintless dent repair) but I'll leave that up to the body shop. Last time they were able to PDR most of the dings but replaced the hood because it was easier/cheaper than fixing it. The roof got the worst of it this time... But everything in the garage is paid off and there's not enough damage to total the GT like they would have done with the other cars so I'm ok with it.

My father-in-law gave me s hit to no end when my '11 GT, and my wife's loaded Town and Country minivan were out in the driveway in a storm and my $3000 V8 Ford Ranger was torn to pieces in my two stall garage during a transmission swap. But it happens, and that is a good way to look at it, as far as the insurance totaling what was in the garage had it been outside. Luckily we had no hail in the storm where my nice vehicles were outside, so each was unscathed. Hope the '14 comes out looking new again, more and more its hard to get good work done when you arent doing it yourself. And yeah, I lifted E7's off my '95 while the engine was in the bay a couple times, and they certainly are not light when you are leaning over a fender lifting them.

So roof is good, no damage there and looks like just the roof/hood/trunk on the GT... Should be an easy fix. If they total it though I'd buy it back for the motor and put it in the fox. Lol

So, got it all torn down, was gonna install my TFS1 cam but the guy I bought it from put the long dowel in it and I can't get it out. Sooooo, it's in my garage freezer for the night. We will see if I can remove it tomorrow.

I really wanted to start assembly tonight, or at least get to the point where I can check PTV clearance.

sucks man, sorry about that,,... yet another reason not to move to TX along with the turd floaters and the ex living there... well pretty much the ex living there covers it. Everyone I've met from TX has a car that looks like a golf ball...

sucks man, sorry about that,,... yet another reason not to move to TX along with the turd floaters and the ex living there... well pretty much the ex living there covers it. Everyone I've met from TX has a car that looks like a golf ball...

We do deal with some pretty big storms in the spring, but only my daily driver got beat up as everything in the garage is paid off (tahoe, notch, 2 bikes) and insurance will take care of my GT so I just don't let it bother me. I'll get it fixed in a month or so when we are clear of most of the hail season.