Cam Choice Time

Time to choose a cam for my project. This is a budget build car that will not be tracked or dyno'd. I'm not concerned with squeezing as much horsepower out of each and every component, just want to put together something that is a little more fun than stock. I have an old Edelbrock Performer manifold and Flo tek 185 heads. Not freshening the block, it has 80,000 miles and checked OK on leakdown test. Want a mild cam in the 270-280 range with about .500 lift. Would like power up to about 6,000 rpm. What's everyone's experience for a cam that fits these parameters?

• Sponsors (?)

Time to choose a cam for my project. This is a budget build car that will not be tracked or dyno'd. I'm not concerned with squeezing as much horsepower out of each and every component, just want to put together something that is a little more fun than stock. I have an old Edelbrock Performer manifold and Flo tek 185 heads. Not freshening the block, it has 80,000 miles and checked OK on leakdown test. Want a mild cam in the 270-280 range with about .500 lift. Would like power up to about 6,000 rpm. What's everyone's experience for a cam that fits these parameters?
Ok, time to provoke......................I'm thinking N-41.

Reactions: 1 user
Just say F it and got to FlowTech Induction and have Ed grind you a cam. Literally $100 or so more than a shelf cam and will make better power in the rpm range you want.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should probably just call comp and talk to a rep. Ed's not a bad option. You might consider the XE274, though lift will be in the .540-.550 range IIRC.

I went through this a couple of years ago.....
My first time doing a 302 so all of this was new to me. Member 5L5 suggested this video to me and it really helped with picking the correct cam for what I wanted to use it for, and what heads worked best with what dynamics each cam offered...
I understand from a pure racing standpoint this video is a bit basic, but for what most of us are doing it made sense to me..

Remember that its a " package" your assembling here.. Everything has to work together and then it needs to work for " what you are using your car for"..
Ended up with a TF stage 1 as it seemed to be a good match to the " P " heads I am using besides I must of stumbled on a christmas sale at the time, I think I paid $218 for a brand new cam...
I did look at Cam prices the other day... SHEEEEEET, just like everything else have they gone up in price... I think a custom cam from FTI was $350 when I was buying.......
Here is the 5L5 recommended video... Enjoy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAeepqrY-0&t=32s&pp=ygUYaG93IHRvIGNob29zZSBhIGNhbXNoYWZ0