Check Engine Light?

HtownGT

Dec 5, 2002
Houston
ok so about a week ago while i was driving to galveston my check engine light came on while i was on the highway. it went off and on and then it stayed on the last like 25 minutes of the trip. so now a week later it still does it sparatically, but now i hav enoticed when i start the car sometimes it will either happen instantly or after a few minutes of sitting there. what is does it clim to 1600rpm like that was the idle, i did leave it there to see if it would go down and it didn't i usually just put it into a gear or into neutral (from park) and it fixes the problem. i dont have a code reader and wondered if anybody came across this problem before. thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Walmart has a code reader for $25. Anyone who is enough of an enthusiast to be on this board posting should own a code scanner.

Many times, intermittent on/off CE lights will be related to lean/rich conditions, sometimes resulting from dirty MAF's. The MAF gives the computer wrong readings, and then the computer enrichens or leans errantly. THen when the O2's detect the REAL readings (that are outside the norms), you get a CE light.

BUT..best thing is to run the codes.

RC

I do not worry much about the check engine light. Depending on your mods any one of a number of things can set it off. Since my car had a HCI and a vortec supercharger my cel is pretty much a "you engine is warmed up" light. I have had the the thing checked out many times and it has always been fine both under visual and wideband O2 sensor check outs. Once you do enough to your car these things happen. A false read from an O2 sensor is the most likely culprit but check the codes and if you are really worried get someone to check out the engine that knows their stuff. Or dyno it using a wide band O2 sensor and check the AF ratio to make sure everything is cool.

same thing happend to me. check ur oxegen sensor. mine went bad because of the weather. same thing happend to my RPM. i replaced the oxegen sensor and everything is fine. don't worry about the check engine light it ok. i got all light on. check engine, air bag, abs, breaks, low coolent and some times low oil. with my stang every thing is possible.