Do You Haul A Spare Tire?

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
I'm wondering who carries a spare tire? My issue is this, with my spare tire out the board warps and looks like heck. I am about to either fashion one out of something about the same thickness or build a support for the board to hold the middle firm. WHAT DID YOU DO? Pics? Also considering just adding a convertible spare.

• Sponsors (?)

In my 04, I built an aluminum frame out of three C channels connected by some angled angles (to add rigidity) to bridge across the spare tire well, and then angle aluminum to support the C channels (from the C channels to the floor). I also drilled the aluminum pieces to further reduce their weight. The whole thing weighs less than a pound, and allows me to use the trunk normally, piling in groceries or whatever.

I carry a brand new 5-lug spare from a New Edge along with the OEM jack, tire iron, J-hook, and wing nut. Then I topped it off with a new tire cover board. When I bought my car it didn't have any of this, the carpet looked awful draped down in the well. Now it works great for setting things in the hatch. It's no fun being stranded an hour away from home without a spare and jack.
DSC_0480.jpg

I absolutely positively carry a Spare, I seem to average about 1 Flat a year, although this Summer I have had 3 freakin Flats, never had any problem with the shape of the board in the trunk.

Nope. My car being an SSP, it came with a full size SSP spare that was warped/dented/and full of screws so it got scrapped. I don't own a spare but i do plan on scoring an aluminum space saver if i ever see one and eventually putting carpet and paneling back in my trunk. Right now it's just bare metal with a tool box in it. I refuse to have my car towed because of the low front valance so i need a spare.

I like the idea of storage for whatever or/and an aluminum spare which I can't afford right now. Maybe i'll buy a new board. Mine is warped ~ and looks bad. But they are too weak to sit things on. Plywood is an idea but I want the carpet to look OEM.

Buying spare and jack> than plywood and walking. I live way out in the boonies, and there is a lot of nothing in south Texas.... with buzzards.

Negative. I don't think I ever had a spare tire since I've owned the car. I did, however, keep a 12V air pump and a plug kit with the car just incase.

Although I haven't done it yet, this is the same idea I am going with. Since I went to 5 lug, the stock four lug spare has no use. I have been kicking around the idea of building a small sub encloser for the spare tire well, which would hold my carpet up. I have a Solo Baric square 8" sub. I think I will make half the spare tire well an encloser, and have a hinged lid that will utilize the other half for storage of the tire pump and plug kit, maybe even a small wrench set. We'll see.

Joe

I like the idea of storage for whatever or/and an aluminum spare which I can't afford right now. Maybe i'll buy a new board. Mine is warped ~ and looks bad. But they are too weak to sit things on. Plywood is an idea but I want the carpet to look OEM.

Try taking your board to a junkyard and matching it up with one from a newer car. You might find one that's close enough to the right size that you can trim it down and transfer your carpet over, or you might even luck out and get carpet that's a close enough match to not bother with. Or, you might try wetting the board and laying a bunch of cinder blocks on it on a sunny day and see if it will dry flat again (i've done this with warped kitchen cutting boards with good results).