Engine Rebuild?

My uncle is a mechanic for a custom ford shop, and he said twisted wedge heads are a great choice for foxbodys. What do yall think?
Twisted wedge are a popular choice. I think mainly because the tfs topend kit is a popular choice and that's what the kit comes with. Twisted wedge also helps w ptv clearance. There are a metric butt-ton of results when you "Google" "fox trickflow topend kit results." Scroll through em and see if that's something you might be interested in.

• Sponsors (?)

With a 4500$ budget just have your uncle re use anything/everything he can from the existing 302. For example the block,crank,rods,pistons,flexplate,oil pan,etc. This is only if everything checks out and is reusable. You will need new properly sized bearings,rings and gaskets(probably going to need some machine work). Also grab a new water pump, balancer,oil pump and new bolts. With that budget you're not going to be able to put together a stroker and a topend kit. The TFS kit alone is pushing close to 3k. You're going to need a bigger throttle body,fuel pump,MAF and injectors(another grand). How about new spark plugs? Wires? You can overhaul the 302 with a h/c/i for 4500 but it will be close and does not include any labor costs. A stroker with all the included "extras" adds another 1500-2000$ in costs. as far as the "best" head for a 302 build goes-trick flows or AFR's are the best for what you're needs would be. 165's for afr's or the TFS 170's for the size.

Reactions: 1 user
Listen to A5literman. Solid advice.

E cam is wrong for your application
Ebrock heads use garbage hardware- springs, valves, etc

The TFS kit is hard to beat for the price and for a newb is a one stop shop for 300rwhp ish. Combine it with a TB, headers, larger injectors, MAF you'll have a nice build.

Stoker motors 20 years ago had problems when the oil rings where in the wrong place and that led to burning oil and premature wear. IMO if you are going through the rebuild process, it is not much more expensive to build a 331 vs. a 306. Go to the CHP website and call Mark O'neal. That being said it will be tough to build all of this on $4500.

I cannot stress enough- do not cheap out on parts and buy Chinese crap. You will have the money to do it right- either the first or second time around. Save up and do it right the first time.

I have already replaced injectors, spark plugs, MAF and shorty headers. I've already looked into flex plate, harmonic balancer, and TB. I may not be able be right around 4500, but I kinda expected to go over to 5ish.

190 or 255lph pump. 155 is acceptable but you'll have no room to grow(power wise). What MAF and injectors do you have. Also you'll need different plugs if going to aluminum heads. If you're going with the stroker route the block will have to be machined for the extra stroke of the crank. You'll also need a matching balancer and flexplate. Also the stock auto trans will need to be addressed. Minimum of a new torque converter and valve body.

Accel high performance ev1 - 19 lbs. and matching bbk MAF. Also the thing is, im prob not going to add much more, engine wise, after this. So I dont need need 190 If 155 is sufficient for this build. Also will a 70mm TB be good? Or would I need bigger? And I planned on putting a t5 tranny next year.

19# inj are to small for the power you're planning on making. A 331 w/ a TFS topend needs at least 30# inj and a 190lph pump. You need to do a lot more research for what you need/plan to do. You're going to destroy the trans also and end up with a poor performer if not.

Yea I kind of figured they were, but i had to put them on a while ago due to the car not wanting to accelerate without hesitation. I'll list everything needed (that I know of)

Harmonic balancer 28oz
Flex plate 28oz
30lb fuel injectors
Matching MAF
70mm TB
TFS top end kit
Headers
155/190 lph fuel pump (didn't you say 155 would be fine?)
331 stroker kit
Dip/Bore/Balance

I think that's everything correct me if I'm wrong though. And I've seen a foxbody with gt40 heads/255 lph fuel pump/60 lb injectors and supercharger with a stock transmission. So I think it could last a year? My only worry is the driveshaft? And sorry I'm still learning about cars.

Yea I kind of figured they were, but i had to put them on a while ago due to the car not wanting to accelerate without hesitation. I'll list everything needed (that I know of)

Harmonic balancer 28oz
Flex plate 28oz
30lb fuel injectors
Matching MAF
70mm TB
TFS top end kit
Headers
155/190 lph fuel pump (didn't you say 155 would be fine?)
331 stroker kit
Dip/Bore/Balance

I think that's everything correct me if I'm wrong though. And I've seen a foxbody with gt40 heads/255 lph fuel pump/60 lb injectors and supercharger with a stock transmission. So I think it could last a year? My only worry is the driveshaft? And sorry I'm still learning about cars.
Your parts list is fine. I would recommend a 75mm throttle body over a 70mm but it will work. Also the block will need to be clearanced. I would also install new cam bearings and freeze plugs. Your trans will need to be addressed at the same time as the new motor. The torque converter will need to be changed. Also a stock t5 isn't very strong. Even a stock 302 can break them with spirited driving. I would just build the auto or look into a Tremec tko 5speed. But that's a 3k project. Also you're going to want to change the rear gears(3.73 is a good option)

if the trans is out of the car, it would cost around $1,200.00 where i live to build it not including the torque converter . . rear end gear change around $1,000.00 . . costs the same price to build a 347 as it does for a 331.

What would I need to rebuild an auto trans? And how much would it cost, rough estimate? Could it handle this build?

Couple of options with the AOD

1. upgrade your AOD./rebuild your AOD- many guys run 350-400 hp on upgraded AOD's
2 Buy a replacement performance AOD

upgrading will be about 1/2 the price. a good trans and converter are anywhere from 2-4K ( ATI, PA performance, Freddy Brown) At a minimum things you will want to address are

1. trans cooler- get the biggest plate style cooler you can fit . It is a must
2. Valve body or shift kit- it will firm up shifts and increase performance, I am partial to a performance VB as it is plug and play and run a Silverfox VB
3. torque converter- you will want to upgrade to a performance unit with higher stall matched to your setup. Avoid B&M. I like Edge, TCI

Things you may want to consider if rebuilding or buying a new trans
1. Servo- replace the stock "B" servo with the better "A" servo
2. input shaft- stock is 2 piece lock out- weaker than 1 piece upgrade unit
3. upgrade the overdrive drum/band to 2" from 1/5"- needs the AODE/4r70w drum
4. 2/3 and 3/4 accumulators
5. upgraded clutch packs

A lot of guys put the better 4r70w internals into the AOD case.

Many parts cane be bought at bulkparts.com. Best place to start and do research is clickclickracing.com. Dan knows more about AOD's than anyone

Last edited:
Man I think if I was a high schooler daily driving a 25 yr old car this is what I would do. I'd get a stockish rebuit bottom end and go with the tfs topend kit along w the appropriate a/f mods. The reason is, well, basically money.. If you're daily driving a 25 yr old car there will always be something to fix and added horsepower will compound the problem. A stock rebuild wouldn't cost as much and it would be able to support the tfs and the likes power level and so will the stock t5 and aod as long as you're not driving like a pissed off drunk teenager everywhere you go. If you stay with the aod get a "new and improved" tq convertor, trans cooler, and a "new and improved" valvebody, and a wider overdrive servo. If you swap to an t5 get a good aftermarket clutch and use it, don't powershift. The fore mentioned bottom end and topend combo will get you somewhere between 280-320ish horsepower and w a steeper gear that's plenty on the street. You'll be able to hold your own when the guy in the stall next to you at Sonic challenges you to a race stop light to stoplight.

You have to think about the long run budget if it's your daily driver. That $1,500 extra you spend stroking it to gain 30-40 horsepower will add an additional $1k or so to the build due to transmission upgrades and the "minimum required" larger and more expensive a/f components as well as more wear and tare on every other area of the vehicle. Just remember when daily driving a 25 yr old car it will always be something. Whatever route you chose you don't wanna beat the sht outta it or you'll be riding the bus.

Haha that last part. I see your point and I kinda agree with it. I feel like if I'm going through the time of taking the block out, I should do as much as I can. But then at the same time is save a ton of $$$. It goes both ways. It all depends on how much of a $$$ difference it is in the end. I estimated it will cost about 5k just for the engine rebuild alone. So I might just go with a 306 rebuild.

eddy e street heads with 1.90 valves.

if you plan to rev it buy new springs from alexes parts.

comp xe258hr cam

35-510-8 - Xtreme Energy™ Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer compatible (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95

elgin roller lifters if you have a roller engine

probably stock injectors

around 9.7 compression with premium gas

stock converter or 1800 rpm stall converter.

buy these pistons

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h120cp20

or these

Amazon product ASIN B002KKNG68View: http://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-H120CP30-Piston/dp/B002KKNG68

Last edited: