Good brakes for my GT 1995 5.0

jsanches

Jan 16, 2011
Brazil
Hello Guys,

I need some advise again. I own a GT 1995 V8 and would like to upgrade its front brakes. The car has its 17" wheels stock and I would not like to change this.
Basicaly I was thinking to change the calipers and brake rotors for some better.
A friend of mine offered me some used cobra calipers. Those are composed by two PBR (two pistons each) calipers and two Brembo brake rotors.
So, could advise me about some good options for my car?

Thank you in advance,

Juliano

• Sponsors (?)

The price is not bad. It is about 800.00, considering that I am in Brazil and have to pay duties when importing these goods (60%!!!!!!!).
Are those brakes able to stop a 350 HP's Mustang?
I dont want poor brakes in it.

I am planning to have some 2.5" cat-back with x-pipe, new shorty equal lenght headers, no converters (or maybe 2 hi-flow), new 65mm or 70mm throttle body and JLT cold air intake.

Could the engine reach that power?

Tks,

JS

The price is not bad. It is about 800.00, considering that I am in Brazil and have to pay duties when importing these goods (60%!!!!!!!).

I am planning to have some 2.5" cat-back with x-pipe, new shorty equal lenght headers, no converters (or maybe 2 hi-flow), new 65mm or 70mm throttle body and JLT cold air intake.

Tks,

JS

Wow! 60%:( That blows!

I hope those brake will work good, because I am doing the same swap this spring. They should be fine, better than stock anyways.

Sorry, but with those mods, you still won't be anywhere near 350 hp. Do you have any mods you haven't mentioned?

Keep in mind, when swapping cobra brakes on a 94-95 gt, the mAster cylinder should be changed as well. The gt mc is a large 1 1/6" mc and many guys report poor braking when retaining it. The cobra calipers actually are actually smaller in terms of piston surface area and use a 15/16" mc (1" with 99-04 cobra calipers)

That 1/16 or 1/8" makes a huge difference in feel. I've personally experienced this.

Fords own m-2300-q kit for 94-95 mustangs includes the necessary master cylinder

Wow! 60%:( That blows!

I hope those brake will work good, because I am doing the same swap this spring. They should be fine, better than stock anyways.

Sorry, but with those mods, you still won't be anywhere near 350 hp. Do you have any mods you haven't mentioned?

The major changes are those I have mentioned.
Do you think I could be near to 300hp?

Keep in mind, when swapping cobra brakes on a 94-95 gt, the mAster cylinder should be changed as well. The gt mc is a large 1 1/6" mc and many guys report poor braking when retaining it. The cobra calipers actually are actually smaller in terms of piston surface area and use a 15/16" mc (1" with 99-04 cobra calipers)

That 1/16 or 1/8" makes a huge difference in feel. I've personally experienced this.

Fords own m-2300-q kit for 94-95 mustangs includes the necessary master cylinder

I think I did not get are you tried to explain. Do I also have to modify the brake lines?

tks,

JS

Well, the master cylinder is sized to the corresponding calipers on the car.

In the wheel wells, you will need

Cobra calipers
13" rotors
Cobra soft flex lines
Banjo bolts and hardware.

Under the hood, you will need:
94-95 cobra 15/16" master cylinder if you use 94-98 cobra calipers
1993 cobra 1" master cylinder if you use 99-04 cobra calipers. (or a 15/16" if you want more sensitivity)

The 1993 cobra mc is a direct 100% swap for your mc, the 94-95 cobra mc will require an adapter kit.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...ge=product_info&cPath=49_140&products_id=1274

You can just swap the brakes on and not worry, but frequent complaints are that the pedal will be noticeably firmer and require more effort to stop. Guys who just changed the brakes usually claim the mod "was not worth it" without realizing they need to change the mc. I can give more in dept explanation as to why if needed.

I am talking from personal experience as well as technical theory since I've been through this on my car.

The major changes are those I have mentioned.
Do you think I could be near to 300hp?

Sorry, but with those changes along, you will not see much of a gain. Factory was 215hp, so MAYBE you will see 230-240 with the better exhaust and cold air.

Also, good info on the MC swap. I will have to look into this as well.

Unless I pull the trigger on a new GT:D

Tks,

JS

No where near that power level, even at the back of the motor (not accounting for drive-train loss)

Keep your stock brakes for now no need to go spending tons of cash. (unless its a safety issue)

You know cobra brakes are a great upgrade but i have drilled and slotted rotors with some hawk pads and my stang stops pretty dam quick for what i got. If i remmber right LMR has a kit with power slotted rotors and hawk pads for around $350. As for 300 horse power your going to needs heads cam and intake manifold with a good tune. If you whant best bang for your buck rear gears are a great mod I have 410s and it made my car a whole diffrent animal.:nice:

For 94-98, The good brake upgrades are the 99-04 calipers with some nice rotors and pads, You can still run the skinnies unlike cobra calipers where you will have to grind and run a spacer.

from what i have seen with my own eyes, The 99-04 GT calipers and cobra calipers are not that much different, i am gonna use the 99-04 calipers on my 96 instead of cobras, I have cobras on my 95 already so it's too late to go back...

Good luck man :)

I knew a guy who had a canary yellow with stripes mustang GT 1995, very nice. He told that his car had about 290cv at wheels. I asked what he has done to reach that and to my surprise, he sent the mods he applied in the car. See below:

- Cold Air Intake BBK;
- Brembo front rotors 13” with Brembo calipers (4 pistons);
- Brembo rear rotors;
- Ford Racing Gears 4:10;
- Fuel pump Holley in-tank 155 lph;
- BBK puleys.

I did not see anything to prove those almost 300cv, so he told that it has some 2,5" exhaust system (x-pipe) without converters and smog pump off.
He also sent me the dyno results. I attached it here.
Hard to believe, right?

Attachments

• Digitalizar0002.jpg
    Digitalizar0002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 302
Now going to the aftermarket I found these:

Ford Racing M-2300-X - Ford Racing Cobra R Front Brake Kits
SSBC A112-11 - SSBC Force 10 Tri-Power Disc Brake Kits

All of these cost more than 1,000.00 easily...
Do you have more advises about aftermarket kits?
Do you good online stores to find these kits?

Thank you

Ditto what hollywoodstang said above. Go with the 99-04 brakes. Cheap upgrade with good parts (IIRC, the calipers are identical to the Cobras, just running on the same size disc you currently have). I did this swap, with some new lines, slotted rotors, and hawk pads, and made a huge difference in braking performance. Couldn't do the Cobra swap on my 95 because they wouldn't fit behind my wheels. Happy with what I got, particularly for the price.

Ditto what hollywoodstang said above. Go with the 99-04 brakes. Cheap upgrade with good parts (IIRC, the calipers are identical to the Cobras, just running on the same size disc you currently have). I did this swap, with some new lines, slotted rotors, and hawk pads, and made a huge difference in braking performance. Couldn't do the Cobra swap on my 95 because they wouldn't fit behind my wheels. Happy with what I got, particularly for the price.

Where could I find those brakes? I mean online stores and good prices?

Thank you.

The 99-04 GT PBR's should really be run with a 1.00" bore MC for ideal performance. The 1.0625 will be usable however...more so than Cobra calipers would be because the GT PBR's are actually larger in terms of piston surface area.

jsnaches, you could prob pick up a used set of 99-04 GT/V6 calipers and lines for under $100 USD and just ship them for far less. Rotors are not necessary as your stockers will work fine. I just sold a set not too long ago for $35 to someone here. They are a nice budget-minded powerful brake setup on a drag-friendly package.

Hey I need some advice for my 95. I'm going to be building a 351(400). I also want red calipers and may just go the fancy route of buying some already red with the stamped brand. I want a setup that will get me to stop and also want the looks of the nice calipers. The car will be a weekend driving, non track car, no auto-crosses or anything either.

Thanks