Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Does anyone else read the posts on stangnet and kinda get a mental image of what they think somebody looks like?? Then they post a pic of themselves and you are completely wrong?? Not this time... Dave looks like .... Dave lol
image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, I've got a question about UCA's for Doby.

As you know, I have MM Extreme LCA's, The car will be lowered. MM recommends the use of a stock style UCA.

How do I adjust for the pinion/driveshaft angle without adjustable uppers?

Is their recommendation more about using rubber bushings on the diff. end for deflection and possible binding?

Could I use rubber bushings on the diff. with adjustable UCA's with a hiem joint?

Or am I completely off and not thinking of another way.

As you know, I have MM Extreme LCA's, The car will be lowered. MM recommends the use of a stock style UCA.

Is their recommendation more about using rubber bushings on the diff. end for deflection and possible binding?

Could I use rubber bushings on the diff. with adjustable UCA's with a hiem joint?

Don't think there's a way to adjust the angle with the stock style uppers but with the adjustable ones you can. You'll get much more noise and harshness transferred into the cabin with the adjustable uppers but no bind with the hiem joint. I think the key is to use one or the other, but never poly bushed fixed uppers.

Reactions: 1 user

How much are you planning on lowering it? I'm willing to bet most who lower these mustangs don't have adjustable control arms. I never have had them and never had an issue. I think you'll be okay without having to readjust the pinion angle. Lowering 1-2" is probably within spec.

With your non stock setup, I would be willing to bet a set of adjustable uppers would be wise. Steeda makes a god set. What rear LCA's are you going with? Weight jackers or straight ones.
Maximum motorsports extremes with no spring perch.

I probably will get a set of adjustable uppers.

Do you think I should stick with a rubber bushing on the diff?

There's a chance that I may have already drank a six pack of Dirty Bastard prior to this picture, I'm usually much more dignified

Does anyone else read the posts on stangnet and kinda get a mental image of what they think somebody looks like?? Then they post a pic of themselves and you are completely wrong?? Not this time... Dave looks like .... Dave lol
image.jpeg

I was surprised he had teeth. :shrug:

MM recommends rebushing the stock uppers with new Rubber bushings, that's what I did and it handles great, FYI I run the non adjust MM lowers

Edit: call the guys at MM they are a wealth of knowledge and help!

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Dave does fit the Dave mold, doesnt he? A good 'ol boy, if you will. That said, you look like a fun guy to hang out with buddy! @Davedacarpainter

Reactions: 2 users
My $.02 on the control arm gig... I ran stock uppers and non adjustable MM lowers on my SN95, and ended up having vibration issues at highway speeds. Once I swapped to aftermarket uppers and adjusted the pinion angle, the vibration went away, but I had more noise in the car from the heim ended uppers. So it will most likely end up being which issue you would rather have... All that being said though, IIRC, you reinforced your torque boxes, so if you dont have a lot of crazy uneven driveways to manage, you could probably go with a set of adjustable uppers with fixed bushings on each end and be ok.

Maximum motorsports extremes with no spring perch.

I probably will get a set of adjustable uppers.

Do you think I should stick with a rubber bushing on the diff?

Up to you Dave on how much nvh you want transferred through the body. You can get cobra/sn95 rubber bushings as they are firmer than fox body and see how that works.

Reactions: 1 users
Up to you Dave on how much nvh you want transferred through the body. You can get cobra/sn95 rubber bushings as they are firmer than fox body and see how that works.
I guess I should call MM again and talk with them about the details.

I almost considered getting Team Z's upper control box. Not going to now, the modification bug has just about worn itself out with me.

Think I'll probably opt for adjustable uppers of some sort. The hiem joint just strikes me as making sense for the binding issues. It'll probably be a month before I can get them though. Lots of stuff to buy now.