my notch vs. 96 cobra

• Sponsors (?)

for the same amount or less $$$, you could probably build a 4v to comparable power numbers, but at the same time it is a mother to tear into that engine, not as cut and dry as the 5.0's, not saying that 5.0's are like cake, but compared to a teksid 4.6 they are

Its not a game buddy :rlaugh: Chillax, its not like I am saying LSX power rules al but lets look at some minor points.

I'm not fired up, so don't take me wrong. I enjoy dreaming up stuff like this. And there is no doubt in my mind the Tekseid is lightyears ahead of the now 40 year old pushrod tech. I just think the old Windsor still has its merits.

I'm not fired up, so don't take me wrong. I enjoy dreaming up stuff like this. And there is no doubt in my mind the Tekseid is lightyears ahead of the now 40 year old pushrod tech. I just think the old Windsor still has its merits.
Oh I know, I am the same way! :rlaugh:
Each has its good points and if with a Fox I wouldnt use anything other then a Windsor pushrod. :nice:

N/A a pushrod will spank a modular with ease. If you did everything you could to a 4V you would be lucky to see 410 at the wheels and it would be a lump ideling fuel whore too.
A mild 408 can do that with ease. But when you switch to boost the tables turn quickly. :shrug:

You guys are hilarious! Just waiting for Gearbanger 101 to pop in and tell everybody how crappy the Fox cars are and how great the SN95's are. :dead:

The Cobra will beat your Fox for sure. 300 rwhp to 215 rwhp. No contest.

You guys are hilarious! Just waiting for Gearbanger 101 to pop in and tell everybody how crappy the Fox cars are and how great the SN95's are. :dead:

The Cobra will beat your Fox for sure. 300 rwhp to 215 rwhp. No contest.

Since when is midpipe and CAI worth 40+ rwhp on a 96 dohc? I’d venture to say it’s likely 270rwhp to 215rwhp comparison. When you factor in the 300-400lb weight advantage of the fox….that horsepower differential starts to quickly disappear.

Considering a stock notch is capable of running low 14's/high 13's @ 99mph….I think it could be a drivers race to the finish. Without gears that 96 dohc is going to be a dog down low…and will likely not fully catch up until close to the end of the ¼. Obviously, anything past that and the cobra has the clear advantage.

well, partially due to the fact that you dislike foxes, i wont put too much stock into that comment. and no, a stock 96 cobra is not putting down 300 at the rear wheels. they (meaning those engines) are very impressive and obviously have set a benchmark in the field of reliability/easy power but they would not just walk all over a fox that spent the price difference between the 2 cars on a good HCI setup such as edelbrock performer/custom cam/afr 185 heads. i've seen this exact combo walk all over ANY stock cobra (yes including 03s). and also if you like the looks of an sn more than a fox, i (respectfully, of course :D) disagree

So, lets take a 351 and punch it to a 408. Get the good forged internals and a big cenatri with a FMIC and run enough boost to make 650 at the wheels. Sweet combo that I would kill GTO to have for myself. :nice:

A 408 built properly wouldn't need a lot of boost to get to 650. I'll bet you could get there on well under 20 psi. Figure 500 hp before boost at the crank. 14 lbs of boost would double that in an ideal world. So let's say 30% loss between the real world and drivetrain. Looks like 700 hp to me.

A friend of mine once owned the fastest 4v all motor Cobra in the country (seriously). It was something like 10.20s if i remember right. He's since gone turbo with it and it's running high 8s.

Fox's aren't full on crappy at all....just crappier comprared to the SN95's and S197's.

haha okay now, if you would have said new edge's, i would have agreed with you, but for you to say sn95ss (my 2nd least fav. bodystyle, only like for it is b/c first bodystyle with 4V motor) and s197s, which i have not liked from day one, i'd have to disagree. just our personal opinion i guess...:rolleyes:

haha okay now, if you would have said new edge's, i would have agreed with you, but for you to say sn95ss (my 2nd least fav. bodystyle, only like for it is b/c first bodystyle with 4V motor) and s197s, which i have not liked from day one, i'd have to disagree. just our personal opinion i guess...:rolleyes:

When it comes down to 4.6 vs 5.0, it's a matter of cubic dollars racing. He who spends the most wins. I haven't had my extra shortblock rebuilt yet(basically stock because I'm not wasting my money until I get an aftermarket block) and I still spent well over 5k prob over 6k in parts that will go on. Do I expect to beat a 4.6? In most cases, yes. However, my buddy with a 03 cobra with a t76 turbo should clean my clock. No matter what, I will NEVER run him from a roll.

Where I appreciate the sn95's is the civil day to day aspect of them. My little bro had a 03 gt and it was slower (cold air intake, drag radials, and subframe connectors) than my 88(gears, full exhaust, drag radials, a little of this and that), but if I was taking a car for a long ride, I'd rather take his every time.

you're very correct about that. partially why i'm looking at 96-7-8 cobra's now. i've heard they are very reliable and enough power to satisfy that need for speed, especially if you do a couple bolt ons, but then again i want a dd thats quick and not a 10 sec stang that is as reliable as a shoe string for a timing chain... (because you couldn't pay me to tear into that motor, it'd be like my first day ever seeing an engine again...)

I really only posted that to ruffle wythors’s feathers a little since he dropped the bait in the first place, but I’ll respond anyway.

Technically speaking, a New Edge is a form of SN95...mechanically it’s virtually the same as its ’94-’98 counterpart, its main difference is some revised sheet metal on the outside and some interior updates to freshen the look. The ’87-’93 Fox body was kind of the “New Edge” of its day after the aero look replaced the 4-eye set up the Fox was known for previously. Just as the 2010 Mustang is little more than a freshened up version of the ’05-09 S197. As far as the S197's go, their looks, like the SN95 is subjective....but there's no denying that they're a better by comparison. The S197 especially. Better performing, better built....just better cars. Personal taste aside of course. :)

the new edge technically is a form of the sn, but that doesnt make it an sn. the platform it was built on doesn't make it the same car, there are way more visual similarities between the 4 eye fox and the aero fox than there are between the sn and new edge. i've driven an 02 gt and a 96 gt and the 02 felt better in every category...turning, acceleration :shrug: looks are subjective, you are right. and personal taste is what i base my car buying on anyway since i will be the one driving it. if you ask me, the way the sn's wheels sit in from the factory they look like they are ready to go drive on traintracks.

but anyway, it boils down to preference at the end of the day...

Cobra will win. They run low 13's to mid 13's with just exhaust and gears and good traction. Even if you go from a dig, roll, freeway, whatever, the Cobra will pull on you.

Since when is midpipe and CAI worth 40+ rwhp on a 96 dohc? I’d venture to say it’s likely 270rwhp to 215rwhp comparison. When you factor in the 300-400lb weight advantage of the fox….that horsepower differential starts to quickly disappear.

Since the last two times our SVTOA chapter had dyno days using a Dynojet. Two similarly modded 96-98 Cobras put down in the mid-290's, while a bone stock 96 put down 267. DOHC cars respond very well to modding. Bear in mind, I own one.

Ruffle my feathers? lol @ GB101. :rlaugh:

Like I said...the New Edge is a freshened up version of the original SN95. The only real differences are revised sheet metal and interior cues as well as alterations made to the power/drive train, better front brakes and slight geometry changes to the front suspension…..otherwise, they're pretty much the same car. If you think about it...what changed between the '85-'86 GT and the '87-‘93 GT? The body lines were essentially the same, but the aero fox got those gaudy looking side skirts and "racy" exterior enhancements across the board to give it the visual "pop". The interior got a major overhaul in '87 and the beefier 8.8" rear end (carried over from '86), better brakes, revised front end geometry and even a world class T5. The engine got a freshened up 5.0L HO, with the truck heads and revised intake much like the New Edge got the PI Truck heads and revised intake. Sure, the actual sheet metal of the New Edge is a more drastic change from the first SN95’s than the change from the early, to late fox’s, but their over all enhancements were no less dramatic by comparison.

You will of course notice differences going from a '96 to an '02....but I would suspect years of wear and tear on the '96, vs. the relative newness by comparison of the '02 was most responsible for the major differences you felt. The wheels are staggered the same width on either car actually. It pretty much all based on the visual appearance of the outer sheet metal. In any case a set of 17x9’s or 17x10.5 DD wheels completely improves the look of either car. :nice:

In any case, you probably aren’t going to go wrong with a clean example of any of them…Fox, SN95, New Edge. It’s all good. :nice:
Ruffle my feathers? lol @ GB101. :rlaugh:

Seems like it worked....this is twice now you brought it up within the course of the same thread. ;)