New to this forum 18 yrs old trynna learn

tye03

Jan 11, 2022
New Jersey
recently turned 18 last December with a 92 foxbody bought it in cash at 17 no help from my parents kinda proud of that. I was told this is the best place to learn about my car

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Congrats on the purchase and doing it yourself. My first car (back in the day) was a 1971 Ford LTD Convertible. Great place to learn on a foxbody. Start by getting either the factory service manuals for your year and model or if that is not available I recommend the Chiltons manual (I have both the Chiltons and Haynes and prefer the Chiltions). How to do many repairs will be covered there. Take you time, you will make mistakes, don't worry, it can be fixed (trust me I have done many).

Back when I was 24 I had an 83 hatch that I gutted the interior and swapped in an interior from a wrecked 89 I had using only the wiring diagrams in the Chiltons manual. It took me 1 week to carefully gut two cars and 1 week to put one back together splicing the connectors needed to make everything work.

Congrats again and let us know if you have questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked. We have all been there. We learned through mistakes too.

recently turned 18 last December with a 92 foxbody bought it in cash at 17 no help from my parents kinda proud of that. I was told this is the best place to learn about my car
Hey man same deal with me I’m 19 but I bought the car when I was 17 with no help from parents too and have been working on my 86 since. Best car ever

Reactions: 1 users
Hey man same deal with me I’m 19 but I bought the car when I was 17 with no help from parents too and have been working on my 86 since. Best car ever
I had my first ‘86 back in my late teens/early 20’s. Now I’m 49, and workin on another ‘86. This is a great group of guys here, and you can learn a lot! I’m still learning every time I read a new thread!

Reactions: 1 user
I had my first ‘86 back in my late teens/early 20’s. Now I’m 49, and workin on another ‘86. This is a great group of guys here, and you can learn a lot! I’m still learning every time I read a new thread!
That’s awesome! 86s are the best by far. Yeah i started out knowing literally nothing and I have learned so much from this site

The Star tester was Fords tool to diagnose the EEC 4 system (your cars era)
Every Ford Service manual you look at will reference one for diagnosis (not so much with Clymer and Chilton (turd manuals IMHO)
Light bulbs and paper clips work too but you can get these Star testers on ebay et al. sites cheap now days
Here is a picture of mine

star.jpg
star2.jpg

I use the above tester just for old Lincoln air ride systems these days
Thank God one of those that actually needed diagnosis I have not seen for 30 years
One day I will part with this free
You take one auto class in college and I'll send it to you
In college our asset students (Fords training program) all had to build one (back in the late 80's)
God only knows what they are trying to teach in college these days

• Agree
i have a 89 gt and have learned by trial and error, common sense, and youtube is a wealth of info.

Attachments

• DSC04447.JPG
    DSC04447.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 9
+1 for common sense
That is 90% of being a good technician
Access to information is the key and scan tools are needed so much these days
Still need to get me a VAG for a Benz I own
I mention these terms so you can look em up

Welcome to the site and the hobby! I've had a bunch over the years and their great cars to work on and drive. The fox bodies are great to work on, because they have fuel injection and modern comforts, but aren't so advanced that the average person can't work on them. As mentioned above, YouTube will have a video on any maintenance you'll want to do. Most people on this site are willing to help out with questions, so don't hesitate to you use this site to help you learn the ins and outs of your fox body. Post up some pics of your new ride.

The breakout box is just a way to splay out the 60 pin harness of the processor connector
Lets you probe every wire back and forth to the component or sensor from the processor
You can check all the powers and grounds to the processor
Here is a picture of one like mine.