NikwoaC's "Commitment Issues" Engine Build

• Sponsors (?)

Up here in the northeast, they've all rusted out long ago and all you're left with are pieced together, badly modified, 9-owner, rot-boxes that guys still ask $5K for. Rust is so bad, even the Sn95 cars are starting to show the typical strut tower rot issues. All that's left are garage queens that come out on nice nights or Sunday AM's from June to Sept, and then go back into hiding.

I haven't seen a clean 4-eye on the streets in years in this area....

Haha yep, the same is more or less true here in Indiana. I still remember the last person I personally knew to have a Fox 5.0 as a year-round DD, it was nearly 10 years ago now and even then the car was a rusty beat-up mess.

Not really much of an update, but I wanted to show off my next project for the car. I picked up an '83 reverse facing hood scoop that I intend to make into a fully functional hood vent with internal water baffle. The scoop is kind of rough, but other than some cracks that I need to repair, it's complete.

I'm pretty stoked about it. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and after I saw @Davedacarpainter bring one of these back to life, I knew I needed to pull the trigger on one myself.

In these shots, the scoop is just laying on the hood, FYI.

Moose Scoop 1.jpg
Moose Scoop 2.jpg
Moose Scoop 3.jpg
Moose Scoop 4.jpg
Moose Scoop 5.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Hola Stangnet, thought I'd show some of my latest meaningless fruits of my garage efforts. Nothing really interesting, I dove into rewiring the e-fan for EEC-IV control, got carried away and now I'm wire hiding.

20180318_075627.jpg
20180318_075634.jpg

While I was in here rooting around, I found this connector hidden in some tape. Looks like it could possibly be a ground wire. Any ideas? The wire jacket is black with a very faint white or maybe gray stripe. The car has an aftermarket alarm and had evidence of an aftermarket sound system when I bought it in 2002, so I occasionally still find wiring mysteries.

20180318_083859.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I've also been more deliberate about removing the 20+ year old Ziebart coating from stuff when I can. One of the PO's had this done to the car, and while I concede that it might be part of the reason the car is completely rust free, I still hate it. Every surface under the car, inside the fenders and in the engine bay are coated with this gooey black tar. The silver lining is that now it's old enough that it's starting to dry out and flake off on its own.

This pile is from ONE fender liner:
20180318_143406.jpg

And this is from cleaning off the windshield fluid reservoir:
20180303_100907.jpg

Pro-tip: plastic trim removal scrapers and mineral spirits are your best friends in removing this junk.

I've also been more deliberate about removing the 20+ year old Ziebart coating from stuff when I can. One of the PO's had this done to the car, and while I concede that it might be part of the reason the car is completely rust free, I still hate it. Every surface under the car, inside the fenders and in the engine bay are coated with this gooey black tar. The silver lining is that now it's old enough that it's starting to dry out and flake off on its own.

This pile is from ONE fender liner:
20180318_143406.jpg

And this is from cleaning off the windshield fluid reservoir:
20180303_100907.jpg

Pro-tip: plastic trim removal scrapers and mineral spirits are your best friends in removing this junk.
i got that crap all over mine too, been dreading stripping the bottom of the car for a while now. are you just soaking a rag in the spirits, or are you spraying it on and letting it soak?

i got that crap all over mine too, been dreading stripping the bottom of the car for a while now. are you just soaking a rag in the spirits, or are you spraying it on and letting it soak?

I've been trying to minimize exposure of the parts to the mineral spirits as much as possible in case it attacks the surface. I've heard other people talk about letting it soak, but so far I've been scraping 98% and then using a MS soaked rag to wipe it clean.

Hello Nik
I have a wire simular that runs from the power side of the solenoid runs over to a two 1/4" post box that is a type of fuse link. It powers the seats and maybe dome lights? I know the seats for sure. I know this as mine was disconnected and I hooked it back up and a bunch of stuff worked.

Hello Nik
I have a wire simular that runs from the power side of the solenoid runs over to a two 1/4" post box that is a type of fuse link. It powers the seats and maybe dome lights? I know the seats for sure. I know this as mine was disconnected and I hooked it back up and a bunch of stuff worked.

Oddly enough, everything in the car works...

Hey, what ever came of your '83 hood scoop?

It's on the list...

20180315_155918.jpg

• Old
Reactions: 1 user
In case any of you are interested but haven't seen my thread in the tech section, my current thinking is that the wire may have been a power supply for the power door locks but might have been disconnected when the aftermarket alarm was installed by the PO. Still looking through wiring diagrams to confirm though.

Anyway, a little progress on the wiring. The engine bay is filthy, I know. When I finally do the 351 swap (next year? maybe?) the plan is to scrape out all the old Ziebart coating (which has turned brown in different areas, so no, that's not caked-on mud) and paint the engine bay.

20180325_085546.jpg

20180325_085555.jpg

20180325_085648.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Almost... There...

20180330_080036.jpg

Anybody have any experience with these DEI "soft chirp" sirens? This one is a 514T, which looks like is no longer in production. It's probably 20+ years old and intermittently doesn't "chirp" when it should. I'd like to replace it but I don't know what model to replace it with.

20180330_080101.jpg

20180327_070242.jpg