SLP X-pipe Blues and Flowtech questions

timintex

Feb 15, 2007
Well I recently ordered and had installed the SLP Stainless steel catted x-pipe from americanmuscle. It was a nightmare from the beginning, I had it dealership installed only to be told the piece that goes from cat to left manifold is the wrong one and drove home with a massive gap. Had to spend more money to have it cut and reflanged etc and reinstalled. Now it sits ridiculously low and the cats are scraping bad.

I have just decided to sell it on ebay and cut my losses to get the cheapest LT/mid pipe combo I could. I am going to go with flowtech long tubes and off road h-pipe. My question is, is there anything I should get like OEM gaskets or anything to make them fit better? Also the ceramic vs painted, where is the cheapest place to get the ceramic and is it really needed? I read in old threads that summit has ceramics for 3xx but I can only find for 44x now? Do they come with 02 sims, what all do I need to make check engine light go away, I got an SCT tuner does that help? Any other informaiton relating to flowtech LTs/mid pipes u guys have I may need would be helpful if you could give me some advice/info.

Tim

PS. If anyone is in the houston area and needs an x-pipe, PM me. And I wish my SLP mid pipe mated up to flowtechs or I woulda just got went the whole flowtech route from the b eginning :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

you didnt get the wrong pipe.

The stock pipes are 2.25". Aftermarket pipes are 2.5". The studs in the stock manifolds have a shoulder on them. This shoulder prevents the nuts from being torqued down any further. This is not a problem with the stock H-pipe (2.25" pipes). However, the 2.5" aftermarket pipes need to be torqued down a bit more to create a seal against the manifold. The shoulder on the manifold studs causes the nuts to bottom out, preventing a proper seal from being formed with 2.5" pipes.

That is why SLP instructs you to remove the studs and replace them with bolts. I am willing to bet the dealer didnt even bother removing the studs, bc its usually a PITA.

On a side note, I would never take my car to a dealer to have aftermarket parts installed. Your case sounds like a classic example why; problem with the new part, they must have sent you the wrong thing. Couldnt be improper install.

FWIW the SLP x-pipes has a reputation for hanging lower than other mids.

Good luck with your LT's. Stay with OE gaskets.