Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

I downloaded the latest firmware to to my unit and also burned the base tune for the 88-93 mustang off the DIY site. Tuner studio reported multiple errors with the installed firmware and the base tune. I'm assuming this is normal? Unit is on a workbench not installed in the car, so there are no sensors connected. Here's a TS screen shot.
Screenshot 2016-06-12 13.49.48.png
totally normal, I have a video somewhere in this thread about setting up TS for the first time watch it then go thru the settings one at a time until you feel comfortable.
Or you can look me up on YouTube Steven VanOrder

• Sponsors (?)

Here you go Steve. It's been a long weekend, but I got it sorted out. Started from scratch with the timing. Pulled the covers, got a piston indicator & stop, found TDC and you were right. I was way the hell out! I had pulled the dist. a month ago, and didn't think about it.. so thanks to YouTube and a quick drive to summit I got it set per your video. Replaced the cap/rotor while i was at it too. I also pulled the IAC, and set the idle to 850 ish, plugged it in and still idleing fairly well. But once warm shes very rich, and doesn't want to rev. The first one log was just idle, and died because I had my hand over the TB double checking for vac leaks. The second log is idle and trying to get some RPM but, started to almost get a little backfire. Thanks again, and happy Sunday!
after trying to get your car going today I am convinced that there is still a timing issue....just the way your car sounded in the background its got wayyyy to much timing.... I would bet that if we put a timing light on the car at idle it has more than the table will allow. I am going to dive through the documentation and maybe shoot a few emails to the almighty DIYAUTOTUNE gurus tomorrow.

sumthin no workie right.

Hey guys, sorry, been away all weekend... If you suspect a timing issue, go back and follow that video I made and linked here. Your offset angle shouldn't be more than 10-20 degrees in order for the MS unit to properly control the timing.

Hey guys, sorry, been away all weekend... If you suspect a timing issue, go back and follow that video I made and linked here. Your offset angle shouldn't be more than 10-20 degrees in order for the MS unit to properly control the timing.
I already have all that covered with all the documentation links and a video explaining the details.

His offset is 16.9* and he indexed the balancer to find TDC.... says he has the timing matching the fixed table. However the car still acts as though he has a ton of timing in it when it's revved up.

Maybe a latency issue? It's hard to help diagnose a car over the phone. I will need some ignition logs to see what's going on.

Steve.. Had to take a step back but I figured it out! The three sets of marks kicked my ass and I was on the wrong 0:doh: The timing is set and running well using the table. After that I went back and set the idle to 875, any lower and I started to get stalling. No surge tho :) I've been making one change at a time, try it and adjust. The last piece I got to was getting ms to read off the wideband. Narrowband runs great, switch it to single wideband (lc1/2) and she just stumbles around, idle stops etc. I'll log a little tonight, and I was going to try matching up the afr readings from ms and the software it came with to check the ts settings for wb. You said to try manually putting in the inputs, but what menu do you change?

In the tools menu calibrate AFR set this to custom and you can input the voltage and air fuel ratio. You may want to make sure you have the right wire hooked up from the LC one and I believe their software that comes with the LC 1 you can recalibrate it on your laptop this way you know what voltage is feeding the megasquirt

I have the LC2 and the wire for the gauge has he correct settings but the secondary output wire has the wrong settings for the MSPNP so you'll need to edit the settings on the controller to make the voltage values match what is set on the gauge wire (don't recall wire colors and not at home to look).

If your car is dying when you change to a wideband, that seems strange to me unless you've already setup your config to incorporate the AFR in the fueling?

Thanks Steve.. I will give that a try when I get back home. Should u also turn back on the ignition advance now that the timing & idle are set
Which ignition Advance are you talking about. If it's the one for idle control I would only use it if necessary it can cause a surging idle if not set correctly. So if you don't have an issue with that I would leave it be for now. Your ignition tables however are not overly aggressive it's the same as advancing the distributor 4 degrees on a stock motor.

I was talking about the idle advance.. Left it alone. I pulled the gauge, and running one yellow wire directly to MS. Calibrated it to single wideband (just re-read your message), and gave it a try. I reset the VE tables back to your Rev. 2 settings, and ran it around the block. That's the first log. Then two laps auto tuning, and did one more logging after. The last one, I had a some bucking and just general drive-ability issues. The AFR is reading the same as before, and can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Idle was pretty good, right on the money AFR wise, smooth but a little high after I plugged in the IAC.

Attachments

• Pre Auto-Tune.msl
    465.7 KB · Views: 138
  • After Auto-Tune.msl
    777.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 2016-06-16_19.40.09.msq
    108.5 KB · Views: 135
I have the LC2 and the wire for the gauge has he correct settings but the secondary output wire has the wrong settings for
I was talking about the idle advance.. Left it alone. I pulled the gauge, and running one yellow wire directly to MS. Calibrated it to single wideband (just re-read your message), and gave it a try. I reset the VE tables back to your Rev. 2 settings, and ran it around the block. That's the first log. Then two laps auto tuning, and did one more logging after. The last one, I had a some bucking and just general drive-ability issues. The AFR is reading the same as before, and can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Idle was pretty good, right on the money AFR wise, smooth but a little high after I plugged in the IAC.
Are these bucking issues on gear changes? Like when you just start to get into the throttle?

your bucking issue has nothing to do with the "tune" itself. Your TPS signal is noisy, this is causing your acceleration enrichment to pulse on and off while you drive.

in a datalog bring onto one graph
-tpsdot% [rate of throttle change]
-accel pw [this is your accel enrichment]
-rpm
-tps

what you will see is a static tps signal..... but the tpsdot% is jumping around when it crosses the [accel enrichment tpsdot value]
accel enrichment is triggered, this causes extra fuel to be injected [which is correct under normal conditions but its just set too touchy]

This is your issue.

To fix it.....

go into accel enrichment and change the "time based accel enrichment" functions.

you need to change "accel tpsdot threshold(%/s)" increase this to 60% for now....

the rest of the settings should be close for now, try this first. then datalog again and review it with the fields above..... you DONT want it to trigger while just cruising BUT you DO want it to trigger when you get on it... so don't go crazy increasing the threshold value..