The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

I'm with Mike. I would not use the old oil trick. I grew up in Maine (Go Sox) so I am familiar with the oil trick. I do think a clean undercarriage with por 15 is a better solution. For me, I didn't want to deal with rust and salty roads....so my solution, I moved to Hawaii in 1987.....:)

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Im not from the south. I live here. i know plenty about a midwestern winter, i was born in Omaha.

there is still no way in hell id coat the bottom of a project car in sludge. if you dont want it to rust, why not park it, and buy a beater?
I have an F150 for winter. I don't know if they did this in Omaha, an hour or two before the storm hits this truck drives around spraying this liquid on the road before it snows. Then in the middle of plowing they start salting and the snow melts immediately. They next day and for weeks later the road is bleach white until it rains, that could be weeks. When it does rain all that salt re crystallizes in the sand on the side of road until April or May.
I'm not coated everything, just the body, inside the fenders and rocker panels, floor pan, inside the doors. Every vehicle I've owned I've dumped a cup of oil inside the door, eventually weeps out the pinch weld on the bottom never to rust again. The visible hidden areas like engine compartment, under seats, door jambs will be POR15. My rust ocd is from my parents dropping me off at school in these rusty s boxes, I'd make them drop me off around the corner. Why can't you get a new car like Brendans parents I'd say, because Brendans parents are going to be working until they're 70 to pay for it, I'm retiring at 55. And he did, drives a Denali and lives in Florida. Sob. I'll never drive this car in snow or rain, but I'm not waiting until the salt is 100% gone, that would be May. Also, I live two miles from the ocean, stainless steel rusts here. You know how you cringe when you find an old pic of an ex? I do that with rust. I'm convinced cars just rust because they are in Massachusetts, just being parked they rust. I hate rust.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with Mike. I would not use the old oil trick. I grew up in Maine (Go Sox) so I am familiar with the oil trick. I do think a clean undercarriage with por 15 is a better solution. For me, I didn't want to deal with rust and salty roads....so my solution, I moved to Hawaii in 1987.....:)
Got Cleveland right where we want them. Maybe I'm just used to working on oiled up cars. Kind of cool when you take a rag to a caliper bolt and it's brand new underneath, no torches or pb.

Just had to add a little info. So.....see....Toyota had an issue with their vehicles rusting out too quick. The resolution was a recall so they could spray a waxy oily black film under the vehicles. It smelled like a box of crayons. That stuff fixed the rust issues and actually dried to a firmer waxy substance....after about 6 months.

If I could find out what it was all my vehicles would be coated.

Enough of this oil talk, back to the build!:chair:

Seriously though, it'll be you're driver, do what you want. I just want pictures:dammit:.

i'm really looking forward to seeing you do this. Neat idea.

Just had to add a little info. So.....see....Toyota had an issue with their vehicles rusting out too quick. The resolution was a recall so they could spray a waxy oily black film under the vehicles. It smelled like a box of crayons. That stuff fixed the rust issues and actually dried to a firmer waxy substance....after about 6 months.

The infamous dealer applied undercoating eh?

This is what Toyota used on the Tacoma's

http://nhoilundercoating.com/

Reactions: 1 users

I had a 1993 Tacoma, they were taking all of them up to 2002 I believe. I brought it to the dealership and they said it must have come from down south, the frame is perfect. Nope, bought it off my grandfather who bought it new, painted it with oil lol. I've seen that wax before, maybe it was Toyota. Stopped at the Ford dealership last winter looking at new super duties, rubbed my fingers on axles, no wax, just paint. I asked the salesman about rust proofing voiding warranty. He said no rust proofing will void warranty. I'd POR15 a new vehicle in a heartbeat, probably before driving it.

I just read it. I bet it's used diesel oil in an insecticide pump bottle.
I'll be ordering that stuff....probably in the spring or early summer. If that's what they put on the Toyota trucks then that's what I want.

I've seen that stuff work.

Edit: I've seen por15 work, too. Por15 is a great product....guess I have more decisions to make. Smh

I'll be ordering that stuff....probably in the spring or early summer. If that's what they put on the Toyota trucks then that's what I want.

I've seen that stuff work.

Edit: I've seen por15 work, too. Por15 is a great product....guess I have more decisions to make. Smh
I'm waiting for the POR15 to dry now. I don't see anything getting through it except at a seam. If it can dry and crack though it's useless. I just used some canned flex seal, like bedliner in a spraycan. Was on steel bar, can't tell if it flexes.

I'm waiting for the POR15 to dry now. I don't see anything getting through it except at a seam. If it can dry and crack though it's useless. I just used some canned flex seal, like bedliner in a spraycan. Was on steel bar, can't tell if it flexes.
I've seen por15 on sheet metal that was beaten with a sludge hammer....it didn't crack at all.

Decided to start with replacing headlight switch. Everything works, out with the old, new one in, no cluster lights, oil pressure gauge just pegs. Four hours later, found a ground wire that fell back in dash, guage ok now, no dash lights still. 7 hours later after checking and testing everything, I must have turned dimmer switch to off somehow. Everything going back together tomorrow, I'm done. Time for paint.

Wire looms done. Finished POR15 in the engine compartment right up to where they did it when engine was out. Rear window gasket was all pitted and nasty looking, figured what the hell, put about 4 coats of POR15 on it until it filled in all the pits. By the fourth coat is was completely smooth. Now it's dry and looks and feels like new rubber gasket. Score!

Attachments

• KIMG0102.jpg
    KIMG0102.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 217
  • KIMG0100.jpg
    KIMG0100.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 223
  • KIMG0103.jpg
    KIMG0103.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 3 users
Wire looms done. Finished POR15 in the engine compartment right up to where they did it when engine was out. Rear window gasket was all pitted and nasty looking, figured what the hell, put about 4 coats of POR15 on it until it filled in all the pits. By the fourth coat is was completely smooth. Now it's dry and looks and feels like new rubber gasket. Score!
Beware about POR15, the sun beats the sht out of it. You might topcoat that with some SEM trim black.

POR15 is great for eb's and undercarriages though.

Good to know, should of took a pic of before, was a spur of the moment thing. Was really bad. Other side ok ish. I figured anything will look better than it does now. Is that sem sold at parts store?
Yeah, most any place that sells auto refinishing supplies seem to have it here.

Last edited:
I just PORed my underside. Oil? Nah I can't do that. My underside looks fine, but i also don't drive if salt on the road or any moisture on the road at all.

I did my axle in por and I like how I can just hose off road dust

eccce3fba5977881afc7d228f078f3b4.jpg

3cd487cf16a8708817fda6884133b39c.jpg
e5fad1bb7d5bc875160046cf25263e70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I was impressed with how easy it went on. I'll give it a try. I was expecting something much more thinned out. Someone already attempted doing it, hit all the easy places to get at, so I'll finish it. Think my rear main is leaking, so it's all coming out anyway this winter. I did manage to swipe my forearm against my newly por'd window trim, not just a little, a big black line. Looks like a tribal tattoo.