The 93 Cobra Clone Build Project

• Sponsors (?)

Any longer I'm going to forget where all these dam wires go! Gave the 86 to my parents, on its way to Florida. My mother loves it, I guess it's pay back for all the Sunday night book reports she wrote for me. Now I have a 5.0 to drive when I visit!

Reactions: 1 user
Before and after. Putting in some late nights so I can drive this thing before the snow flies. All new harness wraps and vacuum hoses. Entire engine compartment cleaned and por'd. Intake plaque needs to be sanded still.

Attachments

• KIMG0046.jpg
    KIMG0046.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 181
  • KIMG0150.jpg
    KIMG0150.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: 4 users
Hood back on, took for a rip down the street. clutch pedal is smooth now, but when it grabs it's pretty rough until it fully engages. It's undrivable. Going back on jack stands tonight. Wheels rubbing on fenders, have new suspension in a box thanks to my late night drunken shopping spree, hope that fixes that problem...until next time

Reactions: 1 user
Exhaust, driveshaft, transmission, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, and rear main seal all out. Bearing retainer is aluminum and pretty well worn out, so was throwout bearing. Probably the cause of crappy sticking engagement. Flywheel I guess is also due for replacement. It has the burned dark spots, worn down pretty good, looked ok to me. The clutch and pressure plate were fine, will sell them on craigslist. In order to get the one washer for the transmission I need to buy a master rebuild kit for a hundred and something bucks. I've never rebuilt a transmission, could be a $1500 experience gone bad. Don't really want a $150 washer, Have to think about that one. At least now I can finish the por 15 on undercarriage with clutch out.

Reactions: 1 users
Exhaust, driveshaft, transmission, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, and rear main seal all out. Bearing retainer is aluminum and pretty well worn out, so was throwout bearing. Probably the cause of crappy sticking engagement. Flywheel I guess is also due for replacement. It has the burned dark spots, worn down pretty good, looked ok to me. The clutch and pressure plate were fine, will sell them on craigslist. In order to get the one washer for the transmission I need to buy a master rebuild kit for a hundred and something bucks. I've never rebuilt a transmission, could be a $1500 experience gone bad. Don't really want a $150 washer, Have to think about that one. At least now I can finish the por 15 on undercarriage with clutch out.
@RangerJoe has a thread about rebuilding them,he may be able to give you a quick walk through

What washer do you need for the tranny? I may have one left over. some of the parts they send you are no wear items and can be reused. I may have what you need.

Joe

I will have to sift through my old stuff. I don't recall any washers that had a lip like that. Of course my trans didn't have a reverse break either, so that may be why.

Joe

Yep, you are right. I went back and watched the video I used to rebuild mine. he shows it, and then comments that you will only have it if you have a reverse brake. I will continue looking, but I don't think that was in my Astro rebuild kit.

Joe

Do you know what the name of that part is? I would think that Hanlon, Astro, Thegearbox, any of these guys should have that part.

Joe
Found it in a small parts kit. It's only in the 83-84 T5 nwc, mine is an 84. 85 has the exact same set up minus that washer. The reverse must just brake on the cover. The cracked washer still fits, nothing to really catch on the cracks. Reverse worked fine before, I'll roll the dice. I know where to find parts. Thanks for the info