Throttle Body Size

MikeH686

Mine is only two inches though.
10 Year Member
Oct 11, 2011
Waldorf, MD
for anyone who's been keeping track of my build I've gotten the new motor setup in. I'm looking to get a new throttle body but unsure of the size to get. My charge pipe from the turbo is 2.5" which equates to 63-64mm my old combo I had a 75mm on it. Wondering if I should bump up to an 80mm. Any insight would be appreciated here's a few pics.
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG
92B56BFB-4A1F-424F-A9AF-8CC5DD356C6F.jpg
IMG_1399.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I am no FI guru, but if your current TB is already bigger than your pipe, and you are forcing air in, I doubt it would make a huge difference. If I was going to step up, I would go to a 90.

Joe

A lot of complaints on line with BBKs (including mine). They tend to have a 'whistle' sound(that comes & goes) at different RPMs.Some say it due to rough casting of internal air passageways .

I am no FI guru, but if your current TB is already bigger than your pipe, and you are forcing air in, I doubt it would make a huge difference. If I was going to step up, I would go to a 90.

Joe

Agreed. Usually my vote is as big as your intake manifold can tolerate, but when your current throttle body is already much bigger than everything between it and the turbo, it might be a moot point.

Just curious, why is the charge pipe so small?

With a turbo the charge piping does not need to be any larger than the turbo outlet.. a 2.5" pipe will flow over 900cfm before the velocity goes over mach. In boost the cfm stays the same but the density increases. You want a throttle body that will flow at least what the engine is capable of NA. A accufab 75mm is probably more than enough, they flow 750cfm if memory serves.