01 COBRA CLUTCH NOISE NEED HELP!

BUMBLESTANG

Jul 17, 2009
I HAVE A 2001 COBRA HEAR A SQUEAKING NOISE WHEN IDELING AND A LIGHT PRESS OF THE CLUTCH IT GOES AWAY BUT WHEN I LET OFF I STILL HERE IT.IS THIS A PROBLEM THIS IS MY FIRST STANG AND HAS A NEW CLUTCH

• Sponsors (?)

i talked to the mechanic who did the work and he seems to think its the shaft bearing could that be?im trying to sell the car and i want to be fair with the buyer.the car drive and shifts fine just a little noise when i start it up. what is a reasonable sell price?

i'd say pilot bearing. your throwout bearing should be in contact rotating with the pressure plate fingers at all times and the sound probably would not go away like that. Your pilot bearing which supports the end of the input shaft would stop rotating when the clutch is pushed in, disconnecting the power transfer from the flyheel to the clutch, and allowing the input shaft to slow to a stop. If it's not rotating the squeal goes away. :shrug:

The pilot bearing is mounted in the end of the crankshaft. When the clutch is engaged (transmission spinning), it's not moving at all - or rather, both sides are spinning at exactly the same speed. When the clutch is disengaged (transmission not spinning) is when there's rotation there, same as with the TOB.

If light pressure on the clutch pedal changes anything, the issue is definitely with the TOB, in any case. The clutch would have to be disengaged for the transmission input shaft bearing or pilot bearing to see a change in their operation compared to when it's engaged, and light pressure isn't going to fully disengage the clutch, only start to press the TOB against the pressure plate fingers.

I should also note, if the TOB is actually bad, you'll generally hear noise while the clutch is disengaged (pedal pushed in), as this is when it's got a load on it. A squeak, rattle, or chirp when the clutch is engaged probably results from the wrong clearance between the TOB and pressure plate. Could be a matter of adjusting the clutch cable, or of a bearing that's not properly installed.