02 gt clunking with clutch in as i put it into 1st while stopped.

Timothyeg

Aug 23, 2020
Sayre pa
Hi everyone I have posted recently about the same car that I have had issues with and is probably part of all my issues.I recently had 373 gears installed,about 400 miles ago.I have been taking it really easy on the car driving like everyone's grandmother.When my mechanic installed the gears I had the differential completely rebuilt.I even got brand new spider gears from ford.The are the actual ford spider gears old new stock they call it.Right from ford.I have been noticing for a little while that when you are at a stop sign when I put it into first gear before the clutch is let out, it will clunk.I hope this isn't a sign of a bad install? Things seem maybe a little sloppy under the car.Drive train slop.It seems to be clunking more and more lately as I am going down the road shifting through each gear. Mechanic says the gears turned out perfect everything is where it should be for tolerance.If this was the case it seems that I wouldn't have started to have these issues.I am trying to solve these issues step by step because he has done other work and some things are starting to unfold.He installed a mcleod clutch and flywheel which as after that I started having knocking and some shaking coming from tranny area. He's normally good but apparently he doesn't know mustangs that well.Does my clunking sound like a bad gear job or a bad motor mount,or a tranny mount.This is getting really expensive.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi everyone I have posted recently about the same car that I have had issues with and is probably part of all my issues.I recently had 373 gears installed,about 400 miles ago.I have been taking it really easy on the car driving like everyone's grandmother.When my mechanic installed the gears I had the differential completely rebuilt.I even got brand new spider gears from ford.The are the actual ford spider gears old new stock they call it.Right from ford.I have been noticing for a little while that when you are at a stop sign when I put it into first gear before the clutch is let out, it will clunk.I hope this isn't a sign of a bad install? Things seem maybe a little sloppy under the car.Drive train slop.It seems to be clunking more and more lately as I am going down the road shifting through each gear. Mechanic says the gears turned out perfect everything is where it should be for tolerance.If this was the case it seems that I wouldn't have started to have these issues.I am trying to solve these issues step by step because he has done other work and some things are starting to unfold.He installed a mcleod clutch and flywheel which as after that I started having knocking and some shaking coming from tranny area. He's normally good but apparently he doesn't know mustangs that well.Does my clunking sound like a bad gear job or a bad motor mount,or a tranny mount.This is getting really expensive.
Anyone?

Put the car up on stands, get under it, get a good hold of the driveshaft and rock it in both directions.

If the noise is above your head, it's your clutch and if below, you probably need a new crush washer on the pinion gear.

With all-new gears, I could see where wearing in some, might find some slop where used gears might not.

The possibility also exists that you'll find one or more worn u-joints.

Put the car up on stands, get under it, get a good hold of the driveshaft and rock it in both directions.

If the noise is above your head, it's your clutch and if below, you probably need a new crush washer on the pinion gear.

With all-new gears, I could see where wearing in some, might find some slop where used gears might not.

I just had a mcleod street pro clutch and flywheel installed about 5 months ago,so that's all new.A really weird thing has been going on since clutch and flywheel install.when the car is in neutral with the clutch out the car has been knocking .With clutch in and in neutral the knocking stops.It didn't do this before new clutch and flywheel. Soon as I got car back from mechanic it is doing this.It also seems to shake while it's knocking,almost like a rough idle.the more I push the gas down in neutral the faster it knocks.kind if like a rattle.It seems like it could be an input shaft bearing.I wonder if that would cause the knockjng.Mechanic checked bearing apparently it was ok I guess.I think something went wrong during clutch and flywheel install. I think mechanic knows he just isn't saying anything because he doesn't want to be near things back apart.He has been messing some things up lately.