02 GT convertible fuses or gremlins?!

Demece1

Jul 19, 2019
Santa Cruz
I just bought an 02 GT Convertible from an elderly lady. A few issues I have not been able to resolve yet. Smelled electrical driving it to work one day (window was already an issue at this point). I'm an elderly lady too (just not THAT elderly! LOL)

Driver window won't roll down- ran 12v directly to motor it rolls down. All other windows roll down. Changed the switch - no change

door speakers don't work (also extra cd loaded and cd player now stuck)

door locks work on remote but not on doors

Slow drain on brand new battery. New battery. (2 weeks) Tested last week after leaving everything off for 45 mins and had drain of 000.40 started it and moved it two days ago. Just clicks this am

RELATED? OR SEVERAL THINGS?

Previous owner had issue when she first got car of trunk light staying on and draining battery. They removed the bulb.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a test light? Are you willing to use it to perform specific tests and post the results?

If looking for an educated guess, the problem is in the GEM. Note the GEM gets a signal from the door switch then the GEM controls the door locks. So if it works via FOB but not via the door switch this means there's either:
  • The door lock switch is bad
  • There's a wiring fault between the switch and the GEM.
  • The GEM is bad.
Confirmed that fuse F2.19 is good.

Start by placing a test light between GEM #20 (LG) #18 (VT) wires. Verify that the test light lights each time the driver's door lock is unlocked/unlocked.

Repeat on the #19/#17 on the passenger's door lock..

IF the test light does not light in both positions, then test each terminal with the pig tail on ground. The test light should light on #20 in the unlock position.

I would check the wiring that goes into the drivers door through the door jam. If you open the door and look between the door and the body in the jam, you will see wiring that runs through a black rubber sheath (looks like an accordion). This spot, the wiring must be flexible to permit you to open and close the door thousands of times, and is a common failure point for the wiring. Pull back the rubber protector and inspect all the wires in the bundle. You will likely find one or more wires broken.

On the battery drain issue, it's best to perform a voltage draw test and pull fuses to isolate different components/circuits. Radio/cd players are a fairly common failure point for battery draws/drains.

I pulled the boot off the drivers door wiring in the door jamb. Of course some genius also wrapped them together with electrical tape as well. Will finish checking there. I was thinking GEM too. Because of the driver window and the door locks together. Where can I locate GEM? Stand by!......I haven't worked on cars since I was a teenager.....they much easier then!