02 gt motor swap help

daves02gt

Sep 26, 2011
I have a 02 gt and I am considering a motor swap for the winter. Im debating between swapping over to a 03-04 cobra drivetrain or a 302 5.0 build(unsure of the 02 tranny would work with a 302). Im curious if anyone has experience with a swap of either 2 of these motors into a 99-04 gt. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 02 gt and I am considering a motor swap for the winter. Im debating between swapping over to a 03-04 cobra drivetrain or a 302 5.0 build(unsure of the 02 tranny would work with a 302). Im curious if anyone has experience with a swap of either 2 of these motors into a 99-04 gt. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

New Coyote or the older 5.0.

Me personally would go for forged engine and some forced induction. The 03 cobra requires a computer and wire harness change. Might be cheaper just to forge the engine and replace cams, springs, and so on and so forth.

I agree with the build up of a 2v. You could get a new 5.0 and tranny and pay for the $1500 harness kit and be out 6k+ and have 400hp NA or spend 4-6k on a forged set up and a blower and make a hell of a lot more. granted the mpg wouldnt be as high and it's not unique.

If you want a cobra engine , just go trade your car in on one , it will probably cost less LOL ...