02 Mustang GT weak lighting.

sceprent

May 17, 2018
SLC
So hello folks, I've got a 02 Roush as the title states. I'm curious about 1 thing, I went on a drive the other day and couldn't see a thing in the canyon, car was the only light source.

I noticed if you flash your brights they're much brighter. In other words if I pull back and hold the high beam flash I can actually safely see. If I simply turn on the high beams... they go a bit further than low beams but are super dim compared to flash and not really safe visibility-wise. Can I somehow reverse this? It's like... my headlights CAN be bright as they need to be... but I had to hold back on the beam selector the whole time.

My other question in general on lights is, I bought new headlights, and new Phillips Visionplus 60% bulbs. Still not ideal, where do I go from here? Wanted to stick to halogen, is that just all I'm going to get? I ordered some silverstar for fogs and awaiting those for install to see the difference. Also waiting to do the mod so fogs run with highs possibly. Took some pics tonight.... underwhelmed to say the least. Also Ive tried aiming the lights higher, center with tape and lower.. w/no better results.

Attachments

• 20180516_235113.jpg
    20180516_235113.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180516_235120.jpg
    20180516_235120.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20180516_232950.jpg
    20180516_232950.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Sponsors (?)

I think when you flash it leaves both high and low illuminated. When you select high beams or low it shuts the other down. I would imagine that would be a lot of heat if both elements were illuminated the whole time. Probably burn bulbs pretty quick.

My opinion, the headlights on these aging cars are just not at all as good as current "run of the mill" headlights. Cars ain't getting younger. OP you can switch to a HID or LED if the silver stars can't get you the way you want to be. I'm unaware of halogens for these cars that are a substantial improvement.

I think when you flash it leaves both high and low illuminated. When you select high beams or low it shuts the other down. I would imagine that would be a lot of heat if both elements were illuminated the whole time. Probably burn bulbs pretty quick.

My opinion, the headlights on these aging cars are just not at all as good as current "run of the mill" headlights. Cars ain't getting younger. OP you can switch to a HID or LED if the silver stars can't get you the way you want to be. I'm unaware of halogens for these cars that are a substantial improvement.

That's a good point, you're probably right. I imagine that's pretty harsh on them too. I didn't think of that. I'm sure from the way it looks to me when I do it you're probably right! Yeah that's what I'm thinking that I'll have to switch. I originally didn't want LED cause I live in SLC and for snow rain they're supposedly not as good, nor for distance. But I pretty much only drive my truck in the snow so... yeah. I hope these silverstars are magic. :D I've heard of people switching just their fogs to LED. Idk. We'll see how these go. I'm not too picky and mostly just drive city... but in the canyons at night they're honestly worthless (my current lights). Thanks for the input guys.