02 Sensor Harness Missing

1987tystang

Active User
Mar 23, 2016
I'll start from the beginning.
I bought the car
Old motor ran great, 25 mpg good power just had slow leaks... without o2 sensors plugged in (never noticed why til now, there is nowhere to plug them in), no maf, mass, or speed density sensor to speak of.

I put a rebuild in with a b303 cam, 1/7 roller rockers and head work guy said gt40s but I'm starting to doubt it.

Car fires right up (on clean spark plugs) and will run for few min until it fouls the plugs and floods.

I've been trying to find a way I can cut/splice o2 sensor wires and where to splice into where I can get the .04-.06 volt readings to the eec with out taking the dash out. I did find other plugs with nowhere to go. I'm unsure what they are for. I'll get some pix up of them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 658
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Sponsors (?)

The green/yellow wire is the 12 volts for the O2 sensor heater, the black/gray wire is the signal & heater power ground, other wire is the O2 sensor output. The sensor wiring is Teflon insulated to survive the high heat around the exhaust system. Use regular insulated wire on the O2 sensors and the heat from the exhaust will melt or damage the wire's insulation.

?temp_hash=be118ae297e65d67e3deef9f3d54e77f.gif

The numbers on the sensor body match the numbers on the sensor socket. That shows you what wires are the heater, ground and sensor outputs.

60 is the sensor and heater ground. It terminates up in the engine fuel injector harness with an orange wire that bolts to either the back of the cylinder head, intake manifold or car body. Make sure this is grounded if you want the O2 sensors to work correctly.

90 (dark brown/lt green)& 94 (dark green/Purple) are the O2 sensor outputs.

687 is the 12 volt O2 sensor heater power that connects to a fuse link in the wiring harness.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.88243.gif

The diagram for the O2 sensor harness is below:
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

mustangO2Harness.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ Everyone should bookmark this site.

Testing the O2 sensor wiring harness
Most of the common multimeters have a resistance scale. Be sure the O2 sensors are disconnected and measure the resistance from the O2 sensor body harness to the pins on the computer. Using the Low Ohms range (usually 200 Ohms) you should see less than 1.5 Ohms.

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Dark blue/Lt green – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Dark Green/Pink – RH O2 sensor
Disconnect the connector from the O2 sensor and measure the resistance:
From the Dark blue/Lt green wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Dark blue/Lt green wire on the computer pin 43
From the Dark Green/Pink wire on the RH Os sensor harness and the Dark Green/Pink wire on the computer pin 29

Im not worried bout the heat I have a silver foil exaust wrap sleeve for fuel lines I can use
As far as getting to passenger side it's useless so I just want to focus on drivers side for now.

The smallest connection by fuse able links by battery with only two wires has black/yellow strip showing it goes to #40 on eec. But can't find what the black/green stripe goes.

On passenger side the round plug has 3 prongs on one side grey/yellow stripe, blue with maybe light green, black with green strip on one side. Then white/pink stripe and green/purple stripe
but Off the o2 sensor there is only one black, and 2 white wires. I don't see any purple, dark green/pink, dark brown, light green,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 401