03 Cobra - P1260 - Car Died, any ideas?

AmdMAN

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2001
Kentucky
Guys,
Boy do I have a strange one for you. Give you some brief background, I had a bad pressure sensor a while ago and during the troubleshooting process I took out the alternator and battery, down to Autozone and tested. Everything checked out.

No problems for months, today I am driving home and on the freeway at about 75mph, the radio is on and turned up, the radio just dies (stock Mach 460). Just up and quits, I hit the button to turn it back on, nothing won't do a thing. So I proceed to change lanes thinking "blown fuse...".

As soon as I change lanes the engine majorly bogs down anytime in boost. I can slowly accelerate with no problem but as soon as I push down further it bogs and cuts out. So I pretty much keep my consistent speed for another 10 - 15 miles about to get onto an off-ramp and the car dies, can't get it to start again, can't clutch start it, it's out. Pull over, try starting it and all I hear is clicking like the battery is dead.

Get it towed to my place and let it sit for a few hours before taking a crack at it. Check all fuses, check for battery light on dash (nothing), and then I check the DTC codes with my SCT, code P1260 - Theft detected.... So I attempt to start the car again, this time it turns over and I leave it running for about 3 minutes, turn it off. Pull out a battery charger and it says the battery is at 75%. Would it have recovered all the way to 75%??

Any ideas for me guys? I was going to say alternator, then with the code, radio cutting off at the same time, and now radio works and battery showing 75% after sitting for a few hours I don't know what to think....

AmdMAN

• Sponsors (?)

Explorer did same thing

My '03 Explorer did the same thing. The radio would go out sometimes when I hit my brights or at other times of electrical 'need'. Then it would come on after 5 to 30 seconds. Couldn't find anything wrong - checked 'almost' everything.
After about 2 months of this, I was pulling out of a parking lot and the engine misfired and the electronic monitor on the dash said 'reduced engine power' and I thought it was going to stall. After about 4 seconds, everything returned to normal.
I figured I needed to check it more but couldn't look at it at the time. The next morning, I went to start it and it was dead. I panicked a little (had to get to work) and then just checked the battery. The positive terminal was loose - I tightened it up and have not had a problem since.
I guess the moral to this is to check all the connections for the battery and make sure they are tight. Might work for you!!

I had a very similar problem, I wound up having to replace the wiring harness in my car. Have you had anyone messing with the PATS alarm / entry or more commonly, hack in a new radio?