03 Cobra Vs Coyote

Pit Bos

Nov 28, 2012
Chicago
Hey guys, looking to upgrade to a stronger engine. Thinking between 03 Cobra engine vs the Coyote engine. I will be upgrading my transmission as well. So looking for some advice?? Would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Again...coyote. You can always add boost to it later if you want more power. Which a coyote by itself is more than enough for a street car.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also vote for the coyote. Both are good but I think the coyote has more upside in regards to potential and aftermarket. It should also be a lot easier to get...both used and new.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No brainer- Coyote 440hp with a warranty and modern technology- plug and play for the most part. $6000 for a new motor with a warranty vs. $3-4k for a used Terminator motor with no warranty with 50 less hp

With the sc still on it I typically see them for 6-7. 10 if you want the tranny attached to it. I'm sure there are guys selling them cheaper but that's the ball park I've seen.

With the sc still on it I typically see them for 6-7. 10 if you want the tranny attached to it. I'm sure there are guys selling them cheaper but that's the ball park I've seen.

holy crap- a 20 year old motor for $6k vs. a brand new motor with a warranty for the same price that makes more power with 20 year newer technology and manners. Throw a blower on the Coyote and you are easy 600hp.

Tough choice

Reactions: 1 users
Doing a Terminator swap into a fox is a big wiring project, as you have to rewire pretty much the whole car, from what I've been told. With a coyote you can buy the Ford racing harness and computer and be done with it.

You can find complete 03/04 Cobra conversions on eBay with engine, tranny, wiring, fuel tank, front accessories, etc for around $8,000-$10,000. Designed around the fox platform. Already supercharged and responds great to bolt-ons. K-member, headers, hydroboost conversion will probably be a must.

You can find '11-'14 Coyote engines on eBay for around $5,000. Plan on spending another $1500-$1700 for the Ford harness and computer. Again, K-member, headers, hydroboost. If you want to keep power steering and power brakes, aftermarket accessory brackets will be needed. Relocating the sway bar brackets and oil filter relocation kit is also recommended. You don't get the T56 tranny like above, unless you buy it seperately. You will also have to get a bellhousing.

There's pro's and con's to both. I personally would go Coyote just to keep the wiring simple.

Except when the 351 is struggling for breath that coyote will still be pulling hard enough to break orbit.

I went out and drove a new gt car about a month ago. It was an odd experience.. It kept hitting the 7k rev limiter when i was winding it out... Mainly because i was driving by sound, and not the tach. It really sounded like it needed to go about 1500 rpm more. All the while leaving me disappointed with the lack of power. Driving a boosted car will definitely spoil you. I guess my point is, those mangy edelbrock heads i have do pretty good opposed to gasping.

Edit: I didn't make that point well i know, but while mine doesn't wind as high, it makes gobs more power...