03 GT, third gear issues.

modu1ar tek

Sep 15, 2003
Hey guys, well I have just over 11k miles on my 03 GT, as of lately, third gear has been giving me some problems. A week ago, when shifting into third on a little run, it didn't get into gear, I'm sure I had the clutch in all the way, but maybe I didn't, but it didn't go in. I tried it immediately after again, and it went in. Today, I hadn't gotten on the car for about 2 weeks, and I noticed that when I wanted to downshift into third going about 65-70 mph, it wouldn't go in. It would be blocked, then I'd have to try again then it would go in. Sometimes it would go in smoothly, other times I'd throw a fight. The thing is, I don't think this only happens when I'm in high rpm's since it also happens when Im in neutral and I have the clutch engaged. The same thing happens, it just sometimes rejects to get into third. Could it be a clutch fork? TIA...

• Sponsors (?)

3rd gear probs

yup thats what i think it is clutch fork is bent and if your not careful and dont replace it ....BAM you overextend it when you hit third and its tranny replacement time! :notnice: at least thats what happened to my 93 limited edition convertible :nonono: any way you probably can get it replaced under warranty thats what i did.just make sure you get a NEW tranny and not rebuilt!! ford will try to tell you that a new one is not nessesary but it is if you hear a loud boom and the tranny sounds like it has a box of rocks in the gears.hope this helps you :shrug:

modu1ar tek said:
Thing is, how can I get Ford to fix the tranny? MMM...when I redline 2nd it doesn't go into third....fix it. Hehe.
LOL...the same thing happened to me,it got really annoying because i'd be racing someone, and it wont go into third at first, then I look like I cant drive....bla bla bla. anyways, I also thought i had a bent shift fork, but I had steeda check it out for me, and it wasnt. Then I took it to Ford to get it looked at, and I couldnt make it do it! I was pissed. :mad: Well, eventually, it just stopped, almost like it fixed itself. It lasted for about a month or two, then it just stopped and hasnt done it ever since...