04 Cobra : FRAUD ON AUTOTRADER

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
i knew it was too good to be true but i couldnt help but email the guy. 04 cobra with 37,000 miles, extensive mods for $10k. i called the number 1st that was provided ( private seller ) and it goes to a fax line :nonono: . emailed the guy a few times back and forth and heres what was said..

tried to give you a call but the number provided seems to be a fax line. does the car have any issues or problems? does it have a clear & clean title? any wrecks? is $10,000 the actual price?

thank you for your time. please email or call asap

---------------------

Hi,

I apologize for the delay but I was busy. The car is still for sale.The price is not negotiable $10,000 firm. The vehicle has never been in an accident and I have the clean and clear title in hand.
I have gotten myself into a financial bind. I had a lot of money in play over the last couple of years and all my stuff went south. Now I need to regroup to a certain extent...I can provide vin # to check on your own. Also, I can send you the pictures and more details too.
Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you,
Jerry Mulkey

--------------------------------

-----------------------

Hello,
The car has 37,100 miles and is in excellent condition. It has been kept clean, never been smoked in, no bodywork or paintwork ever and there are no fluid leaks. Nothing needs replacing, everything works like like it should.
This is the VIN: 1fafp48y44f221925. The car is registered in my name and there is no lien on the vehicle. I have the clean and clear title ready for transfer.
The car is currently located in Florida not in Georgia.
I had someone interested to buy the car he actually paid for the shipping but when he approved for a loan he was rejected.I supposed to ship the car to Georgia so I listed the vehicle in Georgia just in case the buyer changes his mind and manage to get the funds. But he already paid the shipping charges. The shipping is paid, and you don't have to pay anything except car's price.
I want you to know that I'm a premium member at the eBay department and they can help us to complete the transaction smooth and fast. I need your full name and shipping address along with your ph# in order to register the transaction at the ebay department.
I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing find something else.

Regards,
Jerry Mulkey

---------------------------

you are caught. reported you to autotrader. you add will be removed.

---------------------

I am caught? maybe you can explain me why? please apologize or you have to answer to a court for your words.

--------------------

u have are advertising a 25,000 car for 10 grand. somethings up. you have also avoided giving me your phone number in the last three emails ive asked for it. the number you listed is a fax line. you are also wanting me to do the transaction thru ebay which i never even mentioned. i work too hard for my money to let some wannabe con artist take it away from me.

prove me wrong by providing me with a legitmate number or call me. and also provide me with documentation from autotrader stating that you are not a fraud because as of right now, they said you are

--------------------

well I demand you to pay 25k for it then if you don't like to pay 10k my phone number is (415) 483-4571,listed with my fax number because of my work I dont have time to deal with 20 calls per day , I do not force you to pay for it if you don't like it its your money, your decision not my business.

i called autotrader and reported him. they are removing the add. i knew from the get-go that that was a 25,000 car, possibly not. i just had to make sure. i called him and he called me a fu***** retard for calling him a scanner. completely went off on me on the phone and threatened me with the police.

• Sponsors (?)

What gets me is, most of those sites have right on every page "do not wire money for anything!" So if people fall for these scams now days, it's their own stupidity.

Nice work busting his chops like you did, we really need to start screwing with these guys!

What gets me is, most of those sites have right on every page "do not wire money for anything!" So if people fall for these scams now days, it's their own stupidity.

Nice work busting his chops like you did, we really need to start screwing with these guys!

it just makes me really mad to see someone try and take advantage of others. most folks work hard for their money and dont deserve to get it taken away by some idiot. what makes me even more mad is when they defend theirselves by saying they are telling the truth in a situation like this

Well, I could see someone selling a car like that for that price if say they were in the middle of a divorce or trying to get rid of it before a divorce takes place. Or if there is a life or death situation ie: emergency surgery, need to get somewhere fast, need to bail someone out of jail, etc...

This guy probably is full of crap, but don't dismiss every single "too good to be true" deal, some could be real!

If it were me and I had the cash to buy, I'd simply ask where I could come see the car and if I like it, I'll hand over the cash. Plain and simple..

exactly right. although he wanted to do the transaction over ebay ( cars not even listed ). its advertised in georgia but its in florida at the moment, so he says.

when he cursed me out on the phone, i could tell he was indian. VERY easy to tell. yet his name is jerry.....never known a indian named jerry before :rolleyes:

I don't see how it was necessarily a scam. I mean, if you buy through ebay, you don't have to pay until you pick up the car. You can't just assume it's a scam because the price is too low.

Kurt

I don't see how it was necessarily a scam. I mean, if you buy through ebay, you don't have to pay until you pick up the car. You can't just assume it's a scam because the price is too low.

Kurt

i dunno man. read all those emails above a little closer...

"The car is currently located in Florida not in Georgia.
I had someone interested to buy the car he actually paid for the shipping but when he approved for a loan he was rejected.I supposed to ship the car to Georgia so I listed the vehicle in Georgia just in case the buyer changes his mind and manage to get the funds. But he already paid the shipping charges. The shipping is paid, and you don't have to pay anything except car's price.
I want you to know that I'm a premium member at the eBay department and they can help us to complete the transaction smooth and fast. I need your full name and shipping address along with your ph# in order to register the transaction at the ebay department."

thats not a legitimate deal

Ok, I can spot so many things wrong with this guy's response.

First, Ebay is not a "department" it's an auction website. And there is no "premium" membership to ebay, there are however different levels of sellers that reflect on their positive feedback and sales volume, but are never called "premium".

Second, the grammer is just horse manuer. Even really southern folk have better grammer than that. Those responses are definately coming from abroad. And just because you obtained a number to call him, doesn't mean he's here in the states, you probably called a forwarded number.

Third, he is just stumbling over every word in that response. It probably took him a week to come up with just one of those paragraphs, alot of studying American dialogue and it still isn't right.

A few years back when my business was in it's infancy, I was hit with a scam from Nigeria. And since I had never seen any precedence of this sort of thing, I bit... hook, line and sinker. And the person that sent me the emails had the exact same dialogue and grammer. Mine wasn't about buying a car, but was a scam none the less.

I'm sure there will be very good deals like he listed come and go, but that's 100% scam right there.

Ok, I can spot so many things wrong with this guy's response.

Second, the grammer is just horse manuer. Even really southern folk have better grammer than that. Those responses are definately coming from abroad. And just because you obtained a number to call him, doesn't mean he's here in the states, you probably called a forwarded number.

fyi, but it is actually spelled grammar, not grammer.

fyi, but it is actually spelled grammar, not grammer.

There were enough grammatic errors in the post you're referring to that it was comical for him to be busting on the ad grammar!

Manure, definitely...

On the rare occasions when I choose to post correcting someone's less-than-perfect application of the English language, I make it a point to proofread...

You two act like my post was flaming a member or something. That's Trolling, with a capital T. :nonono: Get a life you two.

And here's an FYI for you: Grammar has nothing to do with spelling, it is actually a system of rules by which words are formed and put together to make sentences, which is what I was pointing out. I never claimed to be an english major.

That picture of the 65 was not a Lake Forrest Illinois picture. LAke forrest Illinoise is a Upper Class kind of place. Michael Jordan's old house was there. I don't think there is too much farm equipment in the area.