04 Mach1 manual steering rack conversion require manual brake conversion?

Gt_mach

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for checking this out.

Few days ago I started hearing a winning noise upon turning the steering wheel and turns out the steering rack and pinion went bad again and the boots are leaking bad. In early 2018 I had it replaced with a remanufactured unit.

Is it true that to convert on an 04 Mach1 power steering rack to manual I also need to convert the brakes to manual with no assist? Although I plan on going with a Unisteer rack, I saw a video on youtube for Flaming River racks saying that on 96-04 the power brakes and the power steering system are connected and if you don't want open lines you need to install a manual brake kit. They said that 94-94 had seperate brake and power steering systems.

Can someone explain this to me?

I've been looking all over the place including Haynes Manual to try to understand this with no luck. If I could keep the power brakes that would not be so bad.

Considering the bone stock Mach1 I'm looking to plan an entire steering and suspension upgrade setup for it. Starting with a manual steering rack from Unisteer Performance for $250, needs a manual shaft kit as well becuase the stock doesn't bolt up $250, Steeda bump steer kit $150.

It would be awesome if someone can help me plan this build, it's such a nice car and I have a 94 GT convertible that's right behind it, they are both keepers but my attention is now on the mach1.

Here's a pic of the master cylinder

1550611168461.png

• Sponsors (?)

Just spoke with a guy at the ford parts and he said that is't because the Hydroboost system used pressure from the power steering pump instead of a vacuum brake boost.
Now...Is there a way to swap hydroboost setup for vacuum brake boost?

No. The reason for the hydroboost is due to the size of the vacuum booster not clearing the big DOHC engine.

Why not just fix the steering rack? what's the reason for going manual?

I guess I'm wanting less things to worry about in the cars I want to keep forever, so i figured eliminating the entire power steering would make life a little simpler for repairs while giving the car a more tactile feel. Doing the conversion looks like a real headache, I'll just replace the power rack (again) and hope this one last longer, while I'm there I'll just putfit with bump steer outer ties and move forward with the cars lol