04 Rev limiter @ 4000 rpms?

MR=T

May 23, 2004
Regina, SK, Canada
When parked my 04 v6 wont go over 4000 rpms. When I am driving it goes over. By parked I mean in neutral with no brakes. I have never noticed this before and I thought it might be something to do with me fiddling with the air filter/air intake. ANyone heard of this?

• Sponsors (?)

i think its called the VSS pretty sure its on the driver side of the tranny on the back part of it, it is what sends the signal to the computer of how faster the tranny is moving and it interprets that to be the MPH you are going, when its not turning the car is still adn the rev limiter is set at 40000 rpm and the decay idle rate drops off super fast, when moving the idle drops way slower. I turned my vss sensor off or made it think i was not moving when i was and the rpms droped like a rock when i pushed the clutch in lol. it has nothing to do with the air induction or air filter, just check for leaks around the air pipes.

if you push the brake adn the rpms die its cuz the car is drawing alot of power perhaps its at night or with the AC on?

the short of it, is there is a sensor on the tranny it tells the computer if the car is moving or not, if it is not moving aka park or sitting still the rev limiter is set at 4 grand vs when the car is moving it goes upto 6k or so~

the noise you year is the computer not letting the injectors fire, cutting the fuel there is NO reason why you would need to hit the rev limiter its only there to protect the motor incase you miss a gear and hit it or something of that sort, the car does NOT make any power above 5500 rpms and even the stock tach is off by a bit~ 200 rpms or so, so 5300 is about where I would shift the car, by shifting at redline or where teh car cuts off you are just making your car slower.

just dont rev till it cuts off and you will be fine.

the noise you year is the computer not letting the injectors fire, cutting the fuel there is NO reason why you would need to hit the rev limiter its only there to protect the motor incase you miss a gear and hit it or something of that sort, the car does NOT make any power above 5500 rpms and even the stock tach is off by a bit~ 200 rpms or so, so 5300 is about where I would shift the car, by shifting at redline or where teh car cuts off you are just making your car slower.

just dont rev till it cuts off and you will be fine. and also dont rev the car right after you start it cuz you dont have oil pressure (talking about right after you crank it 1-2 seconds revig it, let the car idle for 20 seconds till the rpms come back down to around 800~ before you take off after the car has been sitting a long while)