05+ MAF question

Im planing on picking up an 05+ MAF sensor and harness at the junk yard and have a quick question about it. I know that the 05+ MAF also has the intake air temp sensor in it. Can I splice that into my harness so that I dont have to weld in another bung and have another sensor hanging out of my intake plumbing?

• Sponsors (?)

90stang5speed...I have to agree with ID89GT and say I don't think that MAF is compatable with your car. Why not just get a MAF from another foxbody. You can even use the 96-04 style MAF if you have a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter harness. I'd say pass on the 05+ MAF.

The MAF body and sensor are designed to match each other. Therefore you can't swap sensors between different part number MAF bodies and maintain proper calibration. The assembly is designed to match the computer’s internal program, and swapping a different MAF can upset the computer's calibration. In other words, your monster MAF probably won't match the calibration of your 5.0 Mustang computer.

The only other MAF that is a one for one swap for a 93 and earlier 5.0 Mustang is the 94-95 Mustang MAF.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

Once your replacement 70MM MAF is in place, disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. When you reconnect the battery and start the engine, the computer will relearn the settings for the new MAF.

*1.) Metal flange adapter Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $44.95. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.
I have others to add to the list:
1. Got a complete MAF from a 1995 Explorer V6-3.8L (that's what was written on the wrecked vehicle), F07F-12B579-A2C. The body is a 55mm with flange.
2. The MAF from my Ford Motorsport Conversion Kit is E9ZF-12B579-AA

It appears that the operative number is: 12B579
If this is true, I have a spare sensor.
Decoding Ford part numbers
Classic Mustang Part Number Decoding Guide
Decade of Manufacture:
E = 1980, 1st digit
F = 1990, 1st digit
0 thru 9 = Decade Year, 2nd digit
Z= Mustang, 3rd digit
F= Engine Accessories or Electrical and Electronics Division, 4th digit

I believe the Decade Year is the first year of manufacture for the part, not the year it was made.
For items referenced above:
E9ZF = 1989 Mustang Engine Accessory
F07F = 1990 Explorer Engine Accessory
F2VF = 1992 Lincoln Engine Accessory

thanks for the advice guys but, because I have the TWEECER RT, I can reprogram the EEC with the MAF transfer fuction for the 05+ slot style MAF. I already know the values to put in the transfer fuction for a stock 05+ MAF & for the upgraged PMAS HPX sensor so Im not worried about the MAF working. I knew it wouldn't be a plug and play deal without tuning. sorry for not adding that part to my original post. My question is about the air temp sensor part of the MAF. can I splice the factory wires in to the new MAF and be able to use air temp sensor part of the new MAF?

...My question is about the air temp sensor part of the MAF. can I splice the factory wires in to the new MAF and be able to use air temp sensor part of the new MAF?

I have no direct experience with the ACT located in the inlet tube, but the sensors appear to be identical. No reason why you can't relocate it to the inlet tube.

These guys have a relocation kit: IST Products

CoolPower!! ACT Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit - Is the hot intake
manifold the right place to mount the EEC ACT Temperature Sensor?? Of course not!! The heat of the aluminum intake manifold influences the sensor temperature as the engine warms up, resulting in the sensor not reading the true incoming air temperature. Our new kit relocates the sensor to the air box where it should be to read the true air temperature, resulting in better driveability, better engine temperature stability, and more POWER to your rear wheels.